Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August.
If you have written some good documentation for an A&S project or a paper for an A&S contest or if you have created a handout for a class, please consider sending them to me for possible inclusion in the Florlegium. If A&S documentation or a class handout can stand alone without the actual project or the class, then it may make a good addition to the Florilegium. My standard policy is that the copyright remains with the author and will take updates at any time. This means, for instance, that you can always replace your documentation with a more polished article later. In the meantime, folks can still be learning from the work you have done.
I am still looking for employment. If you have found the Florilegium useful and think my work on it shows characteristics which you think an employer might also be interested in, please consider linking to me in Linked-In (www.linkedIn.com) and providing a recommendation. My profile there is at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
I will be at Pennsic again this year, and will be camping with SPCA in W10, down by the lake, opposite the end of the peninsula and near Orluk's Oasis. Please feel free to drop by and say hello.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CELEBRATIONS section:
- Wassail-Trad-art - "Wassail Traditions" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
In the CRAFTS section:
- smeltng-coper-msg - Comments on small-scale smelting of copper.
In the CULTURES section:
- India-lnks - Links to info on medieval India by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the FEASTS section:
- kitchn-gloves-msg - Comments on using gloves in the kitchen.
In the FOOD section:
- Opn-Fr-Cookry-art - "Outdoor Open Fire Cookery" by Count Sir Gunthar Jonsson, CIM.
In the SCA-INC section:
- A-New-Baron-art - "You have a new Baron. What do you do?" by Duchess Willow de Wisp.
Here are some of the updated files.
- apples-msg - Period apples and apple recipes.
- blksm-forges-msg - Blacksmithing forges. sources.
- confctny-boxs-msg - Period confectionary boxes.
- crown-cost-msg - The monetary and other costs of being a crown in the SCA.
- humorl-theory-msg - Concepts of medieval Humoral Theory.
- merchanting-msg - Merchanting in the SCA.
- p-kitchens-msg - Period kitchens and kitchen staff.
- prim-sit-fsts-msg - Preparing feasts at primitive sites
- spits-msg - Period and SCA spits for roasting meats.
Copyright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****