Greetings to the Gentles across the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for July, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
If you are thinking of making the pilgrimage to Pennsic next month, you might want to take a look through the files in the PENNSIC and the SCA-CAMPING sections. There are a number of files there from camp sanitation to showers to various Pennsic history stories which can make your trip more enjoyable.
Three weeks ago I got laid off from my job at Dell. Any donations you give to the site will help me defray the costs of keeping the Florilegium going during this time. Also I have recently set up a profile for myself on a business networking site called LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com . My address there is: http:// www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris If you feel that my actions through the years and my dealings with you show attributes that an employer would be looking for in an employee, I would appreciate a recommendation. I've been told that recruiters often consider such recommendations when looking for new employees. You will need to have a profile on LinkedIn to do this, but if you aren't on LinkedIn many of you may want to consider it for your own business networking purposes.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
- Autmn-Holidys-art - "Autumn Moons and Holidays" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- Football-art - "Football" by THL Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- Cft-Banquets-art - "Confections and the Banquet" by Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
- Smooth-Cmfits-art - "Historic Comfits Using Modern Equipment" by Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
- table-fountns-msg - Elaborate tabletop fountains used to distribute wine or perfumed waters.
In the PERSONAS section:
- Names-lnks - Links to info on medieval names by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
- orng-flwr-wtr-msg - Medieval use of Orange Flower Water. Recipes
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
- Blk-Walnt-Ink-art - "Black Walnut Ink" by Baroness Clarice Roan.
Here are some of the updated files.
- apples-msg - Period apples and apple recipes.
- cooking-oils-msg - Period cooking and food oils.
- pretzels-msg - Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.
- soup-msg - Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events. recipes.
- wafers-msg - Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
Copyright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****