Mistress Judith writes:
Hail, and well met!
We have some new ideas in the works for Pennsic dance this year, some very exciting and new things.
I have been collaborating with Master Duncan, leader of Wolgemut, about ways to main stream and spice up the social dance scene, and to increase our own fun, and here are the ideas that we have developed so far:
- A Dance Fling, one hour every day in the market place, with ringer dancers alternately performing dances (as performance pieces), and leading inclusive dances to include the spectators. During this time, we would distribute flyers advertising the various dance activities that are scheduled for the war. This is intended to be fun for us, and to increase general public awareness of social dance at Pennsic.
- Midnight Madness Dance procession, during which we process from one market place to another dressed in classical costumes (the same ones we will have for the Pennsic ball). We will process, then perform a dance, and then do a couple of line dances of some sort or another to include the audience. This will all be framed by the idea that we are priests and priestesses of the muse Terpsichore, paying hommage to her by practicing her art and sharing it with others. A very renaissance idea. The procession will hopefully attract people to join in. The ultimate goal will be the Barn, where Wolgemut will conduct its now traditional Brawl Fest, and we will dance until we can longer tolerate the concrete of the floor. Master Duncan would like to include other musicians in the Brawl Fest, like happened last year when the loud band joined in.
- Egg Sale. Yes, you read correctly. I have found a 15th c. German poem that details a wedding dance. At this revel, the people request dances by offering the piper payment in the form of eggs (They held up their hands and cried "One Egg for this tune," or "Two Eggs if you play this instead). So, I had the idea, to make the Brawl Fest more medieval, we would sell gilded eggs (plastic or hardboiled, I have not yet decided); part of the proceeds would go to Wolgemut, part of them would go towards funding something Pennsic Dance related. Not sure what yet, but we can decide that in time. The eggs would be sold throughout the week preceding Midnight Madness, and then people can properly request dances at the Brawl Fest by crying out what dance they wish and how many eggs they are willing to pay.
So, those are the updates. Questions, comments, ideas?
Next up, we need volunteers; I could do all this alone, but I would rather collaborate.
- We need people to volunteer to be performance ringers at both the Midnight madness procession, and the daily dance flings. This means coming together at Pennsic early in the war and rehearsing, etc.
- We need people who just want to don classical costume and process around at midnight madness.
- I need someone to draw up flyers (after the schedule has been settled) that promote pennsic social dance, and the various scheduled activities.
- I need help gilding eggs.
So, I hope to receive volunteers and ideas!