Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
If you would like to see a file on a subject not currently covered in the Florilegium, please let me know and I'll see if I can find enough information to create a message file on that subject or see if I can convince someone to write an article.
If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this article several weeks in advance so you can publish it, please contact me for more details. I also write a version of this letter meant for publication on websites. Again, if you run an SCA oriented website and would like to get a copy of the web article each month, please contact me.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running. As I was laid off in May, any amount would help me keep this site going.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
- underwear-lnks - Links to information on medieval unmentionables, underpinnings, hosen, corsets by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- Hazard-Craps-art - "Hazard and Craps" by Dagonell the Juggler.
In the FEASTS section
- kitchn-safety-msg - Kitchen safety for SCA feasts.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
- lea-cook-uten-msg - Leather cooking vessels and utensils.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
- Bagpip-Dsguis-art - “Disguising Modern Bagpipes” by Karl Krampf.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
- nutmeg-mace-msg - Info on the spices nutmeg and mace.
In the TRAVEL section:
- Dog-Carts-art - "Dog Carts and Draft Dog Training: Directions to Convert a European Style Hand Wagon into a "Period" Dog Wagon" by Lady Rachael of Bhakail.
Here are some of the updated files.
- books-food-msg - Books about food. Not cookbooks.
- cb-rv-Apicius-msg - Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
- cook-flowers-msg - Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes
- Cornwall-msg - Cornish history and food.
- custards-msg - Period custards, custard tarts and pies.
- fd-Romans-msg - Food of Classical Rome. Apicius.
- fd-Russia-msg - Russian food. Russian cookbooks.
- s-4-staff-msg - Gift suggestions for members of the event stewards or headcooks staff.
- -smoked-msg - Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
- riculture-msg - Period agriculture. References.
- zels-msg - Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.
- ns-msg - Small hand mills for grinding grains.
- royalty-msg - SCA Royalty and what they should be.
- r-msg - Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
- -hist-msg - Histories of the West Kingdom.
- -cooking-msg - Cooking wines. Substitutions.
yright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
ission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
ny of Bryn Gwlad
dom of Ansteorra
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****