After much discussion with people in the East and Mid as well as Duke Palymar, we now have the rules for Scouts that will be used at this Pennsic.
- Scouts must have gear inspected.
- All scouts must be 18 years of age or older
- All scouts must have a Pennsic 32 Site Medallion.
- All Scouts must have a minimum of 3 (2" x 3") white
diamonds on their helm displayed so as to be seen from
front back and both sides. It is advised that scouts wear
tunics or tabards displaying a large white diamond on front
- All scouts must meet the minimum standard for protective
equipment, as detailed in the Society Marshal's handbook
for a heavy weapon fighter.
- Scouts SHALL NOT carry a weapon. Scouts shall not carry a
back-up weapon for the fighters in their units. Including
Shields, Weapons, Crossbows, Bows, or Javelins. Scouts may
carry an extra supply of Arrows and bolts or thrown weapons
for their unit (excluding javelins), as long as they are
carried in a bag.
- Scouts may glean arrows, rocks, and thrown weapons (NOT
Javelins) from missile battles where gleaning is allowed.
All thrown weapons need to be immediately placed in a bag
to keep the scouts from being mistaken as fighters.
Javelins may not be gleaned due to the higher probability
of being mistaken for a fighter.
- Scouts shall not act as a living "Pavise" -- A Human Wall
that archers can hide behind.
- Holds apply to scouts as well as fighters. When a hold is
called, stop, drop to one knee, and remain where you are
until a lay-on is called. There is to be no talking or
moving during a hold. If the hold is local (affecting only
a small area) and the scout is not directly involved,
he/she need not observe the hold, so long as he/she will
not violate any list, battle, or safety rules.
- In order to kill a Scout a fighter must enter weapon's
range and declare, "Scout, you are dead." Weapon's range is
defined as 10 ft. Scouts SHALL NOT be intentionally struck
or touched by a fighter. REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES!
Scouts may not run away once a Kill is initiated, they are
dead if the enemy fighter is within 10' for any portion of
the call "Scout you are dead". When a scout is killed,
his/her information is lost until resurrection.
- A scout that is inadvertently struck on any legal target
area of their body by a missile weapon is dead and must
leave the field. This rule applies even if there is a
friendly fighter between the scout and the origin of the
missile weapon. Archers may not touch/strike scouts with
their bows or crossbows.
- A Scout may not be (vocally) declared dead if he/she has
a friendly fighter between themselves and the enemy
fighter, even if the enemy fighter is within 10' of the
scout. Fighters lacking proper identification (kingdom
tape, inspection stickers, etc), not wearing their helmets,
have their visors open, or not carrying a weapon MAY NOT
kill scouts. Striking a scout will result in that fighter
being removed from that battle. Further disciplinary action
may be taken against the fighter.
- Scouts cannot kill anybody. Not even other scouts.