On behalf of the Incipient Shire of Drakenmere, we would like to extend a special invitation to all performing artists in Meridies to attend Jour d'Amour (Weekend of January 26-28) at Indian Springs State Park in Jackson, GA. The theme of the event is the "Venetian Carnivale," and thus we wanted to have a special emphasis on performing arts. We have arranged most of the day in the main hall to be set up solely for performing arts (Poetic Oration, European Dance, Middle Eastern Dance, Instrumentals, and Vocal Performance--if you have a question about where your performance might fit in, contact us, and we'll work something out).
Here are the guidelines for the exhibition:
- Performances are six minutes maximum, with 1 minute allowed for an introduction. If you have a special set up need (chairs, rugs, etc., let us know, and we'll work something out.)
- Each performer may enter only one piece in each category, or one single performance and one duet or group performance in each category. (So choose your very best piece of work to perform).
- Time limits will be monitored carefully so that everyone has time to perform and that we will be finished by the time TRM's need court set up.
- Populace voting by bead will be ongoing all day; “cups” labeled with performers’ names/performance time and type will be at the rear of the hall for the beads. Royalty and Laurel beads: 4 points. OVO beads: 3 points. Meridian Cross beads: 2 points. Populace beads: 1 point. Beads will be given to everyone at check-in/troll, or if you can’t find the beads, locate either Fiora di Cellini or Mistress Derbail, and we’ ll be sure you get the right beads.
- Documentation and/or copies of your performance piece (if applicable) are highly encouraged (they will be placed with your cup for observers to read), but not required. If you can, please add a small photo insert to your documentation, so people will be able to put a name/face with a performer as they read the documentation.
- People entering and exiting the hall: Please allow each performer to end his/her/their piece before entering or leaving. We will do our best to make sure no performer is interrupted. If you are sitting in the main hall during performances, please be respectful of the performers and restrict your conversation to the times between performances.
- The timetable is roughly set up to allow about 40 minutes for each specific category. At the end of each category is an “open slot” for performers who could not make an earlier or later time or have a time conflict within their category’s allocated time period (or if we have additional entries in the ongoing category). Any category of performance (Poetry oration, European Dance, Middle Eastern Dance, Instrumental, or Vocal) may be performed/exhibited at this time.
- Pre-registration is urged/requested. On-site signups are open until 9:30 AM Saturday morning. At that time, a final schedule will be prepared and circulated around the event (yes, we have a computer and printer with us). We want everyone on site to know who is performing and when, to encourage people to come watch as many perfomances as possible.
- When you pre-register or sign up on site (remember: sign up closes
at 9:30 AM), please provide the following information as applicable:
- Your name
- Performance category type (Poetry/bardic, European Dance, Middle Eastern Dance, Instrumental, or Vocal)
- Solo, duet, or group (remember you are limited to one entry per category unless one performance is a solo and the other is a duet or group performance)
- Title of piece
- Composer (or if this is an original composition, please say so)
- Time period and place
To register: Simply drop a note to me (Derbail) here at sidhe66@hughes. net and I will make sure you get onto the schedule.
For static artisans: We will have an area at the rear of the hall set up for display/comments only if you would like to bring your work as well.
Every performer will receive a small gift of appreciation for his/her time and work.
The top 3 performers (as ranked by the accolade system above) will be invited to perform at feast. If someone among the top 3 is unable to stay, the performer with the next highest number of points will be invited in the other person's stead.
Times (last 14 minutes of each category are "open" as noted above):
Poetry Oration: 10:00 AM – 10:50 AM
European Dance: 1:00 PM – 1:50 PM
Middle Eastern Dance: 2:00 PM – 2:50 PM
Instrumentals: 3:00 PM – 3:50 PM
Vocals: 4:00 PM – 4:50 PM
Questions? Please let us know, and we'll do our best to get you
Incipient Shire of Drakenmere (Jackson, Georgia)