Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November.
I'm currently having problems getting the pictures included in the Trenchers-Hst-art file below to appear in the HTML (web) version. It's probably a Word to HTML conversion problem, but I am working on it and will hopefully get it fixed soon. In the meantime, if you have any interest in trenchers, this is a good article to read even without the pictures.
This article should appear on all of the kingdom mailing lists. If you notice that it hasn't been posted to a kingdom mailing list you are on, please contact me.
I am currently looking for deputy coordinators for the Atlantia, Atenveldt, Drachenwald and Meridies lists. The deputy coordinators are there to backup the regular coordinators and post the monthly article to their list only if something happens and the regular coordinator can't do so.
If you see a good article in a local newsletter or A&S journal, please encourage the author to send the article to be for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. This will let other people benefit from their work and give them some added visibility.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the FEASTS section:
- Med-Kitchens-lnks - Links to info on medieval kitchens by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the FOOD section:
- raw-milk-msg - Finding and using raw milk.
In the FOOD-BREADS section:
- Trenchers-Hst-art - “Trenchers - A Brief History” by HL Baric Firehand (Bear).
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- marshmallows-msg - The original marshmallow treats, made from the Marsh Mallow plant.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
- lyres-msg - Medieval lyres and reconstructions.
In the SCA-INC section:
- peerage-cerem-msg - Thoughts on SCA Peerage ceremonies.
Here are some of the updated files.
- cak-soteltes-msg - Cake based sotelties. Decorated cakes.
- chainmail-msg - Making chainmail. Mail armor. References.
- frumenty-msg - A period cooked grain dish, often barley.
- guilds-msg - Medieval and SCA guilds.
- p-feasts-msg - General comments about period feasts.
- pomegranates-msg - Pomegranate fruit, juice and seeds.
- porridges-msg - Period porridges and gruels.
- spice-mixes-msg - Period spice mixtures. Poudre Forte, Douce.
- trenchers-msg - Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.
- wine-msg - Medieval wines.
- yeasts-msg - Medieval use of yeast. Using it in the CMA.
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****