Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I'm still looking for backup assistants to send this monthly article to the Drachenwald, Atlantia, Outlands and the West kingdom lists, when my regular assistants can't for some reason, such as being out of town. If you are interested in helping me out and you are on one of those lists, please contact me.
I want to thank Lissa Underhill in the East Kingdom who has volunteered to help edit and update the files in the Florilegium. Several of the files in this month's updated files list were done by her. If anyone else would be interested in helping out in editing and updating the Florilegium files, please contact me.
I also produce a version of this monthly article specifically for websites. If you maintain such a website and would like me to add you to my list of Web Ministers who get this article, please contact me.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ANIMALS section:
- Guinefort-art - “Guinefort: The Sainted Dog of France” by Mevanwy verch Tuder de Courtecadeno.
In the CULTURES section:
- Cyprus-msg - The culture and food of medieval Cyprus.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- Boules-Bocce-art - “Boules and Bocce” by THL Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
In FOOD-MEATS section:
- corned-beef-msg - Corned and salted beef.
In the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
- Sugar-Paste-art - "SUGAR PASTE: A Cook's ‘Play Dough’" by Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
- whisks-msg - Period whisks.
In the NEWCOMERS section:
- Fabric-Stores-art - “Don't Fear the Fabric Store” by THL Rosalyn MacGregor.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
- Bagpipe-Tips-art - “Tips for medieval bagpiping in the SCA” by Karl Krampf.
- Tales-o-Teror-art “To Tell a Tale of Terror - Frightening a modern audience with a medieval mindset.” by H.L. Finnacan Dub.
In the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING section:
- WB-checklist-art - “Waterbearing: A Checklist for Autocrats” by Lady Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya.
Here are some of the updated files.
- biscotti-msg - Period biscotti, a twice-baked travel bread.
- compost-msg - A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.
- courts-msg - How to manage courts, royal presence.
- fd-Jewish-msg - Jewish medieval food. Sources.
- Islam-msg - Period Islamic religion. References.
- Norse-msg - Norse culture. Viking raids.
- organ-meats-msg - Period cooking of organ meats.
- patterns-msg - Sources for clothing patterns. Altering mundane patterns.
- tea-msg - Tea, cha. When it appeared in Europe.
- waterbearing-msg - Water and beverage distribution at events.
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****