Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September describing what is new in the Florilegium.
I am looking for a volunteer and a backup volunteer to forward this monthly article to the An Tir kingdom mailing list, since I can no longer post directly to that list. If you would be willing to help me out with this please contact me.
I am also looking for a backup volunteer for the Atlantia, Drachenwald, Outlands and Trimaris kingdom mailing lists. These backup volunteers will get the article just like the main kingdom volunteers, but not send it on unless it doesn't appear on their kingdom list.
There are now over 2000 different files in the Florilegium. If you can't seem to find files on a subject you are interested in, you might want to try using the on-site search engine which can be found on the top page of the site.
If you have any suggestions, comments or criticisms about the site, please feel free to email me. Also, there are no hundreds of public mailing lists out there. I can monitor only a small number of these. If you see a good article or message thread on a list you are on which you think would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send me a copy so that others can learn from the efforts of these authors as well.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CRAFTS section:
- casting-lnks - Links to info on medieval metal casting by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon
In the CULTURES section:
- Moghul-India-msg - The culture and food of Moghul India.
In the FEASTS section:
- Nrmn-Scly-Fst-art - “A feast based upon the culture of Norman Sicily during the reign of King Roger II” by Donna Serena da Riva. (12th Century)
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
- Curye-on-Ingl-msg - Reviews and comments on “Curye on Iglysch” – English Manuscripts of the 14th C.
In the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED section:
- Cypriot-Sugr-art - “From Cane To Kitchen: An Investigation into Medieval Processed Sugar” by Gavan MacBane. Sugar processing in Cyprus.
- sotelte-tols-msg - Useful tools for creating sotelties.
In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
- fennel-msg - Medieval use of fennel. Recipes.
In the PLABTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
- mint-msg - The growing and use of mint in period.
In the SCA-INC section:
- Grup-Historan-art - “How to be Your Group’s Historian” by Mesterinde Annes Clotilde von Bamburg.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
- writng-inst-lnks - Links to info on medieval writing instruments by Dame Aoife Finn.
Here are some of the updated files.
- cherries-msg - Period cherries and cherry dishes. Recipes.
- cheesemaking-msg - Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
- cooking-oils-msg - Period cooking and food oils.
- fd-Turkey-msg - Medieval Turkish food. References. Recipes.
- freezng-foods-msg - Freezing foods for storage. Techniques.
- honey-msg - Period use of honey. Honey sources.
- lamb-mutton-msg - Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
- online-ckbks-msg - Online versions of period cookbooks.
- peacocks-msg - Serving peacock sotelties safely.
- pies-msg - Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.
- stews-bruets-msg - Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
- wood-msg - Different types of wood, period terms.
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****