Gwen A'Brooke writes:
Siege Cooking Competition at Lilies War
sponsored by Gwen A'Brooke
The Senario: You have been besieged for two months in your manor. Your supplies are getting very low. Your fearless leader has decided to invite the opposition leader and two of his companions to parley. You must stretch your cooking skills to the limit to give the impression you have lots of food left and can hold out for as long as necessary.
Everyone gets a box containing the same basic ingredients and amounts.
Then, each team may add (at their option/discretion) to their box:
- A maximum of two fresh herbs/spices (unlimited)
- A maximum of three dried herbs/spices (limited to 1/4 ounce each)
- One fresh fruit -OR- one vegetable - limit 1 pound
Number of teams? Maximum of 6. Competition will be held Sunday morning in the A&S Area. Teams may come set up their cooking areas prior to 9am. Lots will be drawn for the cooking order, and each team will have two hours to cook. All teams who have paid their registration fee will receive the list of ingredients (but not the exact quantity of each item) on the 4th of June. Late entrants will recieve their ingredients list when payment is recieved.
Each team (conditions permitting) will dig their own fire pits, provide their own grates/pot hooks/etc. In the event we are not allowed to have a ground fire - teams will bring their campstoves to the central A&S area. All teams MUST cook in the A&S area.
Depending on the lineup (determined by the team leaders before you start cooking) - you will present your feast to the judges 2 hours later. This means that the teams who will be presenting later may not start cooking until X times 30 minutes later than the earlier presenting teams. IE: if your team will present 3rd - you may not start cooking until 10 am. (We are striving to equalize the cooking times for the different teams.)
No limits on how many people it takes to help. Teams must have a minimum of 3 people.
No minimums or limits on number of dishes.
Criteria -100 points (possible 110 with bonus points)
- 20 points if Teams can point to a medieval recipe as their source for each dish (10 bonus points for limiting it to a single time period and country).
- 10 points for medieval presentation.
- 50 points for flavor/texture/appearance/aroma
- 10 points for using fresh herbs that can be seen growing onsite (your herbs and flowers must be store-bought or homegrown ie: not harvested/picked onsite.)
- 10 points for judges discretion
Registration fee is $20 with name of team and team leader.
Preregister now! Preregistration is open until June 4th. Or take a chance that there is a spot open and register onsite on Saturday June 11th before noon. Please register on the Lilies web site http://calontir.sca.org/lilieswar/lilieswar.php) under the A&S section.
wombat_girl @ hotmail.com
Please use Siege Cooking in your subject line.