Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I have recently put a copy of my regular Florilegium flyer on the website. There is a pointer to it in PDF format on the top page of the site under RECENT NEWS. This is formatted so that it can be printed on both sides of a single-page handout. Please feel free to download this, print it out and give it to SCA newcomers or to others who might be interested.
I wish to offer a big Vivat! to Isabelica Gonzales de Guadalupe in Ansteorra, who has recently joined me in updating the files in the Florilegium. Several of the file updates this month are her work.
I am always looking for additional help with the Florilegium. Everything from some web work such as creating icons, to helping seek out additional articles, to helping edit the files. If you would like to join the Florilegium team, please contact me.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
- wearg-p-fshns-msg - Wearing period clothing. Moving in it.
In the CULTURES section:
- Jerusalem-lnks - Links to info on medieval Jerusalem by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- Dwyle-Flonkng-art - "Dwyle Flonking" by THL Dagonell Collingwood. A traditional English tavern game.
- Horseshoes-art - "Quoits, Dobblers and Horseshoes" by THL Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
In the FEASTS section:
- German-Feast-art - German feast cooked for the Erud Sul Investiture by HL Caitlin Ruadh (called Ru) and Lady Evja Johannsdottir.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- entertaing-fds-art - "Subtleties, Entremets and Illusion Foods" by Baroness Faerisa Gwynarden.
- medvl-sweets-lnks - Links to info on medieval candy, cookies, and cakes by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
- Armenian-Ilum-art - "Armenian Illumination" by THL Anne Georg.
Here are some of the updated files.
- AS-food-msg - Displaying food items at A&S events.
- cordials-msg - Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.
- early-books-msg - Early books. Construction, size.
- gold-leaf-msg - Working with gold leaf, tools.
- holidays-msg - Halloween, Samhain, other Medieval holidays.
- pickled-foods-msg - Medieval pickled food. recipes.
- SCA-romance-msg - SCA romances and meeting SOs in the SCA.
- sugar-paste-msg - Making sugar paste sotelties.
- tournaments-msg - Medieval tournaments.
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****