Greetings to the Gentle Folk of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January 2006, detailing the new and some of the updated files for this month.
I also make this article available to editors of SCA newsletters on my list several weeks in advance. This allows them the time they need to meet their publication deadlines, yet still be able to publish the latest article. If you are an editor and would like to be added to my list, please contact me.
I am always looking for additional good articles for the Florilegium. If you know of any web sites, especially ones run by individuals, where there are articles you think deserve a wider distribution, please send me the details and I will contact the authors for permission.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
- body-piercngs-msg Body piercings, other than for ear rings.
In the COMBAT section:
- Iron-Rose-lnks Links to info on women warriors, past and present by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CULTURES section:
- Byzant-Cerem-art "Byzantine Ceremony" by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- medvl-humor-lnks Links to info on medieval humor by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
- wintr-sports-lnks Links to info on medieval winter sports by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the FEASTS section:
- Drgn-Drmt-fst-art Dragon Dormant Baronial Investiture feast by Lord Petru cel paros Voda.
- Rus-Vik-daybd-art A Russian/Viking dayboard done by Mistress Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
- crabapples-msg Period crabapples and their uses.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- confctny-boxs-msg Period confectionary boxes.
- Manus-Christi-art "References for the Manus Christi confection" by Johnnae llyn Lewis.
- Manus-Christi-msg A medieval confection of sugar, rosewater and possibly gold or pearls.
- pastry-logs-msg 'jelly-roll' pastries made of a flat dough spread with filling and then rolled up.
- Sugarplat-Adv-art "Adventures with Sugar Plate" by Count Gunthar.
In the RELIGION section:
- Psaltrs-Rose-lnks Links to info on medieval Psalters and Rosaries by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Here is one of the updated files.
- coconuts-msg Period use of coconuts. Opening them.
- firearms-msg Early firearms and cannon. Reproductions.
- pastries-msg Medieval pastries. Recipes.
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****