A Happy Yule season to the Gentlefolk scattered across the Known World!
Sometimes it is hard to believe that another year has come to pass, but here we are in December again. In addition to the usual list of new files added to the Florilegium this month, I've also included some of the files that highlight this season.
Many SCA folks in the coastal areas of several kingdoms had high personal losses during this year's hurricane season, as did many non- SCA folks. Please remember these folks and help out as you can. I have heard of at least several grassroots efforts to aid our SCA brethren put their SCA lives back on track as well as their modern ones.
There *will* be a Gulf Wars event this year, despite both the site and the surrounding area having taken damage during the hurricanes. If you have been considering attending Gulf Wars, and particularly if you haven't been before, perhaps this is the year to go. The surrounding community can use the injection of money that we bring and if everyone pitches in a few hours helping clear downed timber and such, much of the damage can be fixed. Many of the volunteers who help run Gulf Wars are among those who have suffered large losses this year. By helping out a little bit more than usual, perhaps we can make their jobs a little bit easier or help make up for those who, having to put back together their modern lives, are unable to attend the War this year.
As usual if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms about the Florilegium, please feel free to contact me.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
- pants-trews-lnks - Links to info on medieval trews and pants by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the COMBAT section:
- blades-lnks - Links to info on medieval blades, swords and knives by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CULTURES section:
- London-Hist-art - "A Brief History of the City of London" by Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester.
In the FEASTS section:
- Lansknecht-fst-art - EK Lansknecht Feast by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
- Winter-Feast-art - A 12th Night Feast served near Hamburg, Germany in 2004 by Giano Balestriere.
In the FOOD section:
- larded-milk-msg - Larded milk. A fried, fresh cheese dish.
- paella-msg - Possible history of the Spanish rice and seafood dish called paella.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- jellied-milk-msg - An Elizabethan sweet similar to modern Jello
In the INFO-SOURCES section:
- med-machinry-lnks - Links to info on medieval machinery by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the NORSE section:
- N-furniture-lnks - Links to info on Norse furniture by Mistress Gunnvor Hallakarva.
In the PEOPLE section:
- Black-Prince-art - "Prince Edward, The Black Prince of Wales" by Matthias Kotok.
- Elanor-o-Aqu-lnks - Links to info on Eleanore of Aquitaine by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
- sassafras-msg - Use of the New World plant sassafras in Europe prior to 1600 CE.
Here is one of the updated files.
- fd-Spain-msg - Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.
- herbs-cooking-msg - Period herbs used in cooking.
- swordcare-msg - Comments on the care of steel swords.
The Yule season is fast approaching. Here are a few files connected with this season:
- 12th-nite-msg - 12th Night celebrations.
- Christmas-art - Medieval Christmas.
- food-gifts-msg - Period food items that make good gifts.
- Holiday-Celeb-lnks - Links to medieval holiday celebrations by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
- holiday-gifts-lnks - Links to medieval holiday gifts by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
- Pennsic-gifts-msg - Some gift ideas for those going to Pennsic.
- St-Nicholas-art - Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
- T-H-Dreidel-art - "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
- Vik-Shp-lst-art - "Little Viking's Holiday Shopping List" by Gunnora Hallakarva.
- wassail-msg - Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
- Xmas-art - "The True Meaning of Xmas".
- Yule-msg - Yule celebrations.
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.