The policy itself is short and simple: "Live animal hunt activities are prohibited at SCA events, practices, demos and other functions. These include, but are not limited to, deer hunting, boar hunts, and game bird shoots." When it became effective on 2005-10-30, there were immediate questions raised by hunting guilds and by individuals who enjoy fishing and falconry, as to whether (or how) the policy applies to their activities. In response, policy implementation guidelines have been issued by Reed and published by SCA President Linda Moore, explaining the reason for the policy and listing certain activities that are specifically exempted.
Linda Moore writes:
Subject: Implementing Guidance for SCA Society Seneschal Policy with Regard to Hunting at Official Events, Practices, Demos or Other Functions.
Reason for this Policy Decision:
- This Policy came into existence after a series of direct inquiries over several months in which a number of persons pointed out to the Office of Seneschal that no rule or policy forbade live animal hunting at SCA events and functions.
- This is an issue because the SCA does not have the infrastructure to be a Hunt Club. We do not have the type of insurance, organization, expertise at managing on a high level, or even the capacity to be advised of and responsible for adherence to local statutes in every county, city, state, province, and country with regard to Hunt Clubs.
- Having Hunting as a sponsored activity at an SCA event would redefine our organization as a Hunt Club. The impact of having to fix the gaps identified in Item 2 above is not something we are remotely prepared to address and resolve any time soon.
Policy Location: Section XIII of Additional Policies of the Society Seneschal.
Key Words: Hunting, Events, Banned Activity
Author: Society Seneschal
Authority: The Society Seneschal is responsible for operations and event activities.
Effective Date: 10/30/05
Review: January, 2006 Board of Directors Meeting
Policy Text: "Live animal hunt activities are prohibited at SCA events, practices, demos and other functions. These include, but are not limited to, deer hunting, boar hunts, and game bird shoots."
Questions regarding this matter may be referred to the Society Seneschal at email@example.com.
- The Policy is effective as of 2005-10-30.
- The Policy remains in effect until upheld or overturned by the Board of Directors. If upheld, it becomes a permanent policy. If it is overturned, it is eliminated at that time.
- Enforcement: as with all Seneschal policies, primary responsibility for enforcement lies with the Office of Kingdom Seneschal.
- The Policy does not address, nor restrict, fishing or falconry.
- The Policy does not address, nor restrict, individuals hunting on site-owner’s land with proper permits, licenses, and in accordance with applicable modern laws, regulations and statute.
- The Policy does not address, nor restrict, the teaching of classes on period hunting techniques and the history of the same.
- The Policy specifically targets SCA-sponsored activities that include live animal hunting.
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
Milpitas, CA 95036
You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.