Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I'm sure that by now most of you have heard of the recent hurricane which has dealt quite a blow to parts of the Kingdoms of Meridies and Trimaris and the soon to be Kingdom of Gleann Abhann. Many of our fellow members have been displaced and often lost most of their material goods including SCA stuff. Please keep in mind these folks and keep an eye out for how you might be able to help out. And if some of these folks find themselves in your area, please welcome them and help them feel at home, whether for weeks, months or longer.
I know that there are a number of SCA oriented relief efforts going on. However, right now things are still in a bit of flux, so I'm not going to try to give an exhaustive list but here are a few: The Meridian Disaster Relief webpage: http://hurricane- relief.valhalla-computers.com/ A mail list set up for not only this current disaster, but also for the future: SCA-Disaster@yahoogroups.com
On a different note, I am considering adding an RSS service to the Florilegium. This will allow folks with the proper software, to get more continuous and comprehensive updates on what is new in the Florilegium. RSS now comes standard with the latest Apple Safari browser, for instance. Before I go to the effort of implementing and maintaining this additional feature though, I'd appreciate comments on whether this would be of interest or not to the users of the Florilegium.So, please send me an email if you have any comments, pro or con about this.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ANIMALS section:Here are just some of the updated files. This month many of the SCA history and story files have been updated. Of course, I’m still looking for additions to these files.
- bees-Markham-art - A translation by Baroness Morgan of Anglesey of the section on bees and beekeeping in one of Gervase Markham’s books.
In the COMMERCE section:
- prostitution-lnks - Links to info on medieval prostitution by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the LIFE-STEPS section:
- bog-bodies-lnks - Links to information on bog bodies by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PENNSIC section:
- Pennsic-lnks - Links to information on Pennsic by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
- poppyseeds-msg - Use of poppyseeds in period. Recipes.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
- Atlant-rapier-msg - History of rapier combat in the SCA Kingdom of Atlantia.
- Aten-hist-msg - Histories of the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
- Atlantia-hist-msg - Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
- breadmaking-msg - Period bread recipes and re-creations.
- Caid-hist-msg - Histories of the Kingdom of Caid.
- Lochac-hist-msg - History and description of the Kingdom of Lochac. (Australia)
- placenames2-msg - More origins and meanings of SCA placenmaes.
- SCA-as-family-msg - Sometimes the SCA is more like family.
- SCA-reasons-msg - The reasons various people joined the SCA.
- West-hist-msg - Histories of the West Kingdom.
- you-know-msg - You know you're in the SCA when...
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.