Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World!
I know that many of you are off to Pennsic by now, but hopefully you will see this upon your return!
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August detailing what is new at the Florilegium site this month.
If you are the editor of a local newsletter and would like to get a copy of this article several weeks ahead of when I post it to the mailing lists, so you can meet your various publication deadlines, please contact me.
I also create a version of this article with all the files given as HTML links for those who would like to add this monthly article to their webpages. If you would be interested in getting added to my list to get this, also contact me.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
- jewlry-storag-msg - Jewellery storage in period and the SCA.
In the COMBAT section:
- SCA-armor-lnks - Links to information on SCA armor by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the BEVERAGES section:
- Mead-Mkng-Tps-art - "Mead Making Tips" by Byron Whited.
In the FEASTS section:
- out-fst-safe-msg - Cooking outdoor feasts safely.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
- whale-meat-msg - Use of whale and porpoise meat in period. Recipes. Substitutions.
In the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
- Eberhard-art - A 15th century German recipe collection translated by Giano Balestriere.
- Inntal-art - An early 16th century recipe collection from Bavaria translated by Giano Balestriere.
- Konigsberg-art - A 15th century cookbook from East Prussia translated by Giano Balestriere.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- Digby-Cakes-msg - Making cakes using Sir Digby’s 'Excellent Small Cakes' recipe.
In the PENNSIC section:
- Quest-f-Scotch-art - "Quest for Scotch – A Pennsic Tale" by Philippa Ferraria.
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
- knitting-lnks - Links to info on medieval knitting by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Here are just some of the updated files, usually those with the largest amounts of new material:
- fd-East-Eur-msg - Period food of Eastern Europe. Recipe source
- fd-Mongols-msg - Food of the Mongols. Recipes.
- fd-Norse-msg - Norse and Viking food.
- fd-Scotland-msg - Medieval food of Scotland. recipes.
- merch-spices-msg - Spice merchants. Reviews and recommendations
- painting-msg - Period and SCA painting. terms used.
- recruitment-msg - Recruitment ideas. bringing in new members.
- sewng-machnes-msg - Comments on sewing machines for SCA use.
- shields-msg - SCA and period shields.
- siege-engines-msg - Catapults, trebuchets. Period and modern.
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****