Greetings to Gentles across the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
This should be going out to all of the Kingdom mail lists. If you are on more than one such list and don't see a copy of this article on all those lists, please contact me and let me know and I'll find and fix the problem.
If there is an article that you would like to see added to the Florilegium, please let me know and I'll see if I can find someone to write it.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
- brooches-lnks - Links to medieval Chatelaines and Brooches by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the ANIMALS section:
- med-fishing-lnks - Links to information on medieval fishing by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
- Judging-AS-art - "Judging Arts and Sciences Competition; Some Thoughts and Suggestions" by Ld. Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarre’
In the FEASTS section:
- Broccoli-fst-art - The Feast of St. Dorinda of the Broccoli. by Edouard Halidai (Doc).
- serving-soups-art - Serving soups at SCA feasts.
- bread-pudding-msg - Period bread puddings.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
- med-poetry-lnks - Links to information on medieval poetry by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the largest amounts of new material:
- candy-msg - Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
- cookg-compet-msg - SCA cooking competitions.
- cross-dressng-msg - Cross-dressing in period.
- feast-serving-msg - Ideas for serving feasts. How to organize.
- forks-msg - Period forks. history and use in Europe.
- iron-pot-care-msg - Seasoning and caring for iron pots and skillets.
- nefs-msg - Richly decorated medieval salt cellars.
- ovens-msg - Medieval ovens and SCA camp ovens.
- p-stories-msg - Period stories. Story sources.
- p-tableware-msg - Period tableware. Period references
- querns-msg - Small hand mills for grinding grains.
- sotelties-msg - Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.
- utensils-msg - Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
- wood-utn-care-msg - Care of utensils made of wood.
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****