Costume Society of America, Region I
Understructures: Shaping the Body, Fashioning the Person
Saturday, April 5, 2003
Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA
"Proposals are invited from a broad range of research areas, including the disciplines of art history, history, material culture, psychology, and sociology, and underwear that shapes the body from ancient times to the present day. Special consideration will be given to papers that use interdisciplinary or multicultural approaches.
Proposals may be submitted for 20 minute paper presentations and 10/10 ongoing research presentations (10 minutes presentation, 10 minutes group discussion).
Topics might include, but are not limited to:
* Types of undergarments, including stays/corsets, bras, girdles, hoops, paniers, farthingales, shaping panties and pantyhose, men s waist-cinchers, kimono undergarments, and other underwear with shaping capabilities.
* The natural body vs. the artificial body.
* Range and type of movement dictated by undergarments.
* Marketing and manufacture and its change over time.
* Body-shaping undergarments and social rank and class.
* Body-shaping undergarments in popular culture.
* Undergarments and dress reform.
* Western women's vs. men's body-shaping.
* Western vs. non-Western body-shaping methods.
* Transgender use of shaping undergarments.
* The stigma of shaping underwear in modern culture.
* The physiological effects of corsetry on the body.
Submit four copies of your 1-2 page abstract, complete bibliography, and one copy of your two-page CV, postmarked by Tuesday, December 31, 2002 (the extended deadline), to Carrie Alyea, 26 Bradford St. #1, Boston, MA 02118. A title page, with the title of your paper, your name and complete contact information, must be included. Do not put your name on the abstract pages or bibliography. If you have questions or need more information, please email.
Previously published material should not be submitted. Submissions must be original research, interpretations, and/or perspectives. Proposals are welcome from all, regardless of membership status.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO OTHERS WHO MAY BE INTERESTED."