Greetings to the Populace of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January, detailing what is new in the Florilegium for this month.
I am always looking for new, useful or interesting info for the Florilegium. This includes message or message threads from public mail lists. There are literally, hundreds of SCA oriented mail lists out there. I can only read a few of them. Please forward anything you think would be of interest to others not on a list you are on. I will happily give credit to the sender as well as the original poster unless the former wishes to remain anonymous.
I am also looking for volunteers to help me update the files in the Florilegium. One of the reasons that information can take months or more to get into the Florilegium is the amount of work required to edit and update the files. Additional help would reduce this time.
Thanks and a Happy New Year to All,
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past fifteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overhead costs of keeping the site running.
THLord Stefan li Rous
One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new format which includes several new features such as making links "pickable" and some disguising of all email addresses to make it harder for the spammer's programs to harvest email addresses from this site. Yes, I am modifying all 1800+ files as fast as I can. This means that while I will continue to add new files each month, the usual amount will be reduced. However, as I update the files to the new format, I am adding any information I have waiting to go in a file, so there will be more updated files
Here are the new files for this month:
In the COMBAT section:
- p-handgonnes-lnks - Links medieval handgonnes, and related weapons by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
- Wel-Rnded-Ftr-art "The Well Rounded Fighter" by H.E. Brian du Val.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
- p-medicine-lnks - Links to info on medieval illnesses by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the RELIGION section:
- med-charity-lnks - Links to medieval charity by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the largest amounts of new material:
- bread-msg - Medieval breads and grains.
- breadmaking-msg - Period bread recipes and re-creations.
- dogs-msg - Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
- flour-msg - Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.
- grains-msg - Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
- livestock-msg - Medieval livestock. Pigs, cattle, sheep.
- pancakes-msg - Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
- porridges-msg - Period porridges and gruels.
- puddings-msg - Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
- wafers-msg - Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris