Ice Dragon will take place at the same site as last year, the Erie County Fairgrounds located at 5600 McKinley Parkway, Hamburg, NY, 14075. The site is discreetly damp and is smoke-free inside by county law. Pageantry, as always, is the call for the day so bring your banners to hang proudly!
The site opens at 9:00 AM and closes at 10:00 PM. Many wonderful activities are planned including fencing, heavy weapons, the annual A&S Pentathlon, a heraldic consulting table and quest and more merchants than you can shake a rattan sword at. Once again there will be no evening feast and there will be a tavern (cash) lunch and dinner sideboards throughout the day. A larger eating/schmooze area will be made available to accommodate evening dancing, storytelling and other pursuits. Partial proceeds from the tavern will go to the Æthelmearc Scribal Fund.
As always, there will be a separate building available for fighting and fencing. The fencing will be a crestfallen tourney and will be run by Doña Elisa inn Rau Hara. The heavy weapons tourney this year will be a 2-man melee bearpit and will be run by Baron Sir Otto of Westphalia. There will also be a thrown weapons tourney (weather permitting) run by Master Charles of Alden and youth tourneys run by Sir Sextus Plinius Callidus (for the fighters) and THL Caleb Reynolds (for the fencers). Questions regarding tournaments can be sent to the autocrat.
Prices for Ice Dragon are as follows: Adults $8.00 for pre-registered and $10.00 at the door. Children between the ages of 6 and 12 are half-price. Those 5 and under are free. (There will be a separate line for those people pre-registered at troll.) The deadline date for the receipt of paid reservations is Saturday, March 5th, 2005. Please remember that the SCA Inc. has reinstated the $3.00 per person nonmember surcharge for events. Please do not include this surcharge in your preregistration. This will be collected at the door.
One of the highlights of the Ice Dragon is the annual A&S Pentathlon where you can match your skills against yourself (and others), and gain valuable insights from the judges. Please address all questions concerning the Pent to this year's A&S Pent organizer, Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton (mka Susan Caroll-Clark), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Categories and rules for the Pent are available elsewhere in this issue.
Ice Dragon continues to have some of the best shopping in the Kingdom. Our merchant liaison has vowed to make this year even better than ever! Merchants need to make sure their paid merchant reservation is received in hand by the merchant liaison no later than March 5th, 2005. All those wishing to merchant should send a SASE with the following information to the Ice Dragon merchant liaison, Master Brandric Slayrock (mka Lawrence Southwick III) Brandric1@netscape.com Please include SCA and Mundane name, merchant/shop name, full contact information, the number of tables requested, and if you would wish to set up on Friday night before the event. The price per table/space is $7.00 before February 26th, 2005 and $10.00 after this date. Please note: We can only guarantee two tables. More may be available at a later date. Please do not send a payment for more than two tables even if requesting more. Additional fees will be required the day of event if more tables are made available to you.
Attention parents: This site, being a fairgrounds and racetrack is open to the public and very spread out. There is also casino style gambling on the fairgrounds but not within the confines of the ground we will be using. All children under the age of ten will be required to wear identification bracelets. To ensure the safety and well being of children, parents will be required to directly supervise their children. Parents failing to do so will be asked to leave the site.
From Buffalo (*): Travel south over the Skyway (NY 5) to Milestrip Road (NY 179). At the first light, make a right turn onto South Park Avenue (US 62). Continue about 3.8 miles to the Erie County Fairgrounds entrance. Follow signs for correct parking/unloading area.
From Ealdormere: Take the QEW to the Peace Bridge and follow I-190 South. Follow directions from above (*).
From elsewhere in Æthelmearc: Take Interstate 90 to Thruway Exit 56 (Blasdell/Milestrip NY 179). After paying toll, turn right at intersection signal. Proceed to next light and turn left onto South Park Avenue (US 62). Continue about 3.8 miles to the Erie County Fairgrounds entrance. Follow signs for correct parking/unloading area.
Ice Dragon A&S Pentathalon
(Ice Dragon Event, Rhydderich Hael, 3/19/05) (NOTE the Bold Print for new information) Ice Dragon fast approaches, and it is time to get to work on those A&S projects! This year at ICe Dragon, we are honoure to have Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton as our Pent Organizer. (You may recognize her name as the current society chronicler). The general rules for the Pentathalon are generally the same as in past years. We are looking forward to seeing a large turnout and a grand display of works from the best SCA artisans.
There will also be a Baron's and a Baroness's choice award.
- Items entered must be new work, no previously entered or winning works.
- Work must be original, no kits.
- Novice (first time entries in any A&S competition) should be marked as such.
- There will be no winner declared in a main category unless there are at least three entries in the category. Items from categories having less than three entries will be grouped in another sub category at discretion of Pent Autocrat.
- Everyone is encouraged to develop their documentation for cross-entry into the Research Papers Category, but there is a maximum limit of three cross entries on any one item.
- The in hand deadline for submissions to the Literary Arts Category as well as Musical Entries is February 1, 2005. Send early to avoid the holiday mail backup. Musical entries please send a tape if possible to be reviewed before we hear your live performance day of event. To submit entries by mail Contact Magistra Nicolaa c/o Susan Carroll-Clark 4825 Winterset Dr. Columbus, OH 43220.
- This year the Pent Organizer will be accepting proxy submissions (for categories other than literary arts and music arts) by mail, but someone must be present at the event to represent the entrant and transport the item back to the owner. This onsite person should check in at the Pent area upon arrival at the event. The in hand deadline for mail in proxy submissions is no later than February 23, 2005. Pent Organizer will not be held responsible for late, lost, damaged or C.O.D. packages if submitted this way. Mail early to allow ample time for your package to arrive. To submit entries by mail Contact Magistra Nicolaa c/o Susan Carroll-Clark 4825 Winterset Dr. Columbus, OH 43220.
- For Proxy Entries, please send a SASE to receive registration forms to accompany the work(s) being submitted to help move along the registration process. Be sure to include all necessary information on a 3x5 card along with the required proper documentation. Failure to do so may result in disqualification of submission(s). Be sure to include the name of your onsite contact.
- Entries and questions should be sent to the Pentathalon Organizer: This year, the Pent Organizer is Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton. Contact via email (the most efficient means) email@example.com
- Poliroid photographs will be available again this year to facilitate the cross entry process. If your artwork will be cross-entered and you wish to have a photograph taken, a $1 fee will be applied. Otherwise there is no fee to enter the Pent.
The autocrat for Ice Dragon this year is THL Jenna MacPherson. Please send any comments or questions to: Carole Goranson at: RH2005IceDragon@aol.com