THLord Stefan li Rous shares updates to Stefan's Florilegium for June 2014.
Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
Please remember for those of you wanting an easier way to see everything is in the Florilegium, All 2500+ files, without paging through subsection after subsection, you can now do so by looking at or downloading the filelist-list. If this is of use/interest to you, email me and I will try to keep it more consistently updated in the future.
Some mail lists have been having problems with various mail addresses, particularly with mail lists hosted on yahoo.com. If you don't see a copy of this article on your kingdom mail list or on lists you've seen it on previously, please let me know so I can try fix it.
I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.
You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't heard back from me, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.
If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past twenty-four years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.
For those who would like see a complete listing of the files in the Florilegium, without paging through subsection after subsection, the listing is now available again. Just click on the filelist-list at the top of any section. You can also download this in RTF format and print it out, but be aware that it is now about 60 pages long to print.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.
Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.
THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ARCHERY section:
- SCA-T-Archery-art "Getting Into SCA Target Archery" by Christophe of Grey. http://www.florilegium.org/files/ARCHERY/SCA-T-Archery-art.html
In the EVENTS & CELEBRATIONS section:
- Shw-Wht-U-Knw-art "SCA Documentation or how to show what you know…." by Agnes Berengarii de Girona. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Shw-Wht-U-Knw-art.html
In the NEWCOMERS section:
- Why-Reg-A-Nme-art "Why Register a Name in The SCA?" by Wulfhere of Eofeshamme. http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Why-Reg-A-Nme-art.html
In the NORSE section:
- Viking-Bling-art "Viking Bling! A Review Of Viking Age Jewelry For Men And Women" by HL HRothgar Thorsson. http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/Viking-Bling-art.html
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
- Hst-Cosmetics-art "A brief History of Cosmetics" by Baroness Anastasia Alexandrovna Andreeva (OL). http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/Hst-Cosmetics-art.html
In the SCA_INC section:
- FC-fundrasng-art "Period Funnel Cake Fundraising at the Lilies War" by HL Alianora de Olmandiers. http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/FC-fundrasng-art.html
In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
- Bayeux-Tap-DH-art (6K) 5/10/14 "The Bayeux Tapestry - Description and History" by Baroness Sine ni Dheaghaidh, CP. http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/Bayeux-Tap-DH-art.html
Here are the updated files for this month.
- eggplant-msg Period eggplant (aubergine). Recipes.
- fd-France-msg Food of medieval France. References.
- fealty-msg Fealty in SCA and period. Feudalism.
- meatballs-msg Period dishes with meatballs.
Since PENNSIC will be here soon, check out the PENNSIC and the SCA-CAMPING sections for some useful and/or entertaining files. Here are some of the files to give you a taste of what is there.
- Eatng-Pennsic-art "Eating in (Period) Style at Pennsic" by Lord Bogdan de la Brasov, CW.
- Fire-Book-art Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use. With illustrations by Blackfox.
- New-2-Pennsic-msg Information for those new to Pennsic.
- P-Sanitation-art "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat Idiot" by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji)
- P42-Friar-Exp-art "Pennsic 42 - The Wandering Friar Experiment" by Ercc Glaison.
- Pennsic-Prep-art "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic Prep" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
- P-Thngs-To-Do-art "Things To Do At Pennsic" by Lady Katharine of Caithness.
- Quest-f-Scotch-art "Quest for Scotch – A Pennsic Tale" by Philippa Ferraria.
Copyright 2014, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@gmail.com