A number of 16th century documents mention the village of Philiphaugh, with its "tower, fortalice, manors, gardens, orchards and mills," on the border between Scotland and England, but the settlement has long ago disappeared. Now new excavations may reveal where the town once stood. (photos)
GUARD Archaeology Ltd. is in charge of the investigation of the site, which has so far yielded "fragments of medieval pottery cooking vessels, jugs and mugs from Scotland, Germany and the Low Countries," as well as a stone spinning whorl, stone game pieces and a whetstone. Radiocarbon dating of bits of charcoal from the site dates it at 1472 -1645. The village is close to the known site of the Battle of Philiphaugh which took place in 1645.