Hail to gentles from far and near…as Estrella War XXX approaches, Atenveldt warmly greets you, and bids you welcome here!
In the lands of the desert flower, stars brilliantly shining in the evening sky, the fires of war are kindled and Kings of the Known World are coming together again to this historic Estrella War, which in decades, numbers three.
The company of the Fellowship shall number nineteen, spanning from the far famed kingdom of Drachenwald to the heroic Lochac. Fearless and high-hearted, with their Heralds crying, banners snapping, they shall take the field. Let the horns cry and set forth the strength of your warrior’s hearts. You have come and are here well met here in Atenveldt.
Each Crown calls forth warriors of broadsword and schlager, each one in the fullness of their strength, to arise now and meet the peril! Three days shall ye clash upon the fields of Estrella. Shield-Maidens, show your hands ungentle and strong upon your weapons. Archers give cause for the field to fear the whistle and whine of your shafts, keen eyes skip not a target.
Even the mightiest warriors pursue gentler pastimes; noble minds and eyes can look no further than Town Square, filled with shopkeepers, troubadours, games, tournaments and artisans displaying their craft.
When the tempest of war has cooled, and every shaft shot and all warily walked from fields, we shall have wholesome peace laid upon the land and fellowship as it the Kings command. Upon the close of battle, and in years to come, well spent warriors freed from command and those bonded in chain, belt and spur shall gather to revel and take feast from the board. They shall slap thigh and backs and boast of shields shattered and helms crumpled and say “Knowest I was there…”
KNOWN WORLD November 20, 2013 Estrella War Announcement Digest (Please use the reference numbers next to the bolded categories to find the topics you wish to find out more about).
1. ACCEPS is OPEN, Deadline is Feb. 10, 2014
2. Town Square is the hub for the majority of scheduled fighting tournaments for heavy Armored Combat, Youth Combat and Rapier.
3. Medieval Village gives you a unique opportunity to converse with artisans and craftsman as they ply their trades in the finest tradition of living historians.
4. Known World Rapier camp Members will put on demonstrations of Heavy Rapier and Cut and Thrust Rapier throughout Estrella War.
5. Volunteers Needed - Everyone working at the Estrella War, from the main Event Coordinators to the person you see standing at the entrance directing traffic, is an unpaid volunteer.
6. Host our EMTs - The Keepers of the Estrella War EMTs ask your assistance in showing our famous hospitality to the four gentlemen who keep us safe during the week of War by provided them with Breakfast and/or Dinner.
1. Pre-registration for Estrella War XXX is OPEN but it will CLOSE on February 10, 2014. So do not wait get pre-registered today at: http://acceps.ansteorra.org/EW2014/ew_event_main.php
The advantages to pre-registration will include the $15 savings as well as the ability to come in on Tuesday (General Admission does not open until Wednesday) and guaranteed camping space for each pre-registered person.
For more information on Preregistration visit www.estrellawar.org.
We look forward to seeing you at the War!
2. Town Square is the hub for the majority of scheduled fighting tournaments for heavy Armored Combat, Youth Combat and Rapier. See Special Events for dates and times.
Our Town Square will offer you:
Stroll the Merchant’s Row, with all the fantastic things to do at war shopping sits among the top the list. Nothing is more delightful that to peruse the many varied wares offered by welcoming and knowledgeable merchants. Saturday, March 1st, 2014 is early Moonlight Madness, starting at 7PM.
Have a seat and linger over a shared meal under huge shade pavilions, Merchants Row offers a dizzying array of food Vendors. Main, side, and sweet dishes for every pallet and whim await you.
Lazily sit and socialize over a period board game. If you are feeling energetic, step up your game and bat about a shuttlecock, partake in a game or Bocci or Croquet (games and equipment can be checked out at Town Square).
Three Artisan Showcases awaits one and all from the known world; the Traditional, Laurel’s, and new in 2014, Fiftieth challenge. Bring your best for bragging rights and mentoring purposes. Brewing Competitions and Brewers Tasting, and a plethora of other entertaining and novel events are in store for you.
Get your game on! For you ladies who like to pit your size, strength, speed and skills against one another, a rousing game of Helga Ball. Que Loo Loo (The wolf’s tail) is a delightful game of tag for children, and Barres (Prisoner’s base) is likened to capture the flag but with prisoners instead. See the games section of Special Events for details.
In the cool of the evening Estrella War dresses up and everyone comes to the Town Square for the grandiose parties, the biggest of these is the Masked Revel with and contests of dalliance and flirtation, entertainment and the splendor of the Grandest Courts of the land.
Town Square also, for your conveniences hosts all of the traditional services you have come to rely on; Herald’s Point, Chirurgeon’s Point, Merchants, Special Events & the Mains (which are all under one roof at Mains Steward’s Point) and The Watch.
3. The Medieval Village is located in Town Square. Folks camped here share a deep love of the Middle Ages and strive to be as authentic as possible. The idea of this camp is that we are creating a set for a play where we are also the actors. Those of us who camp in the village do not insist everything be absolutely medieval, but our philosophy is: the closer we can get to that goal the more impressive the effect will be, and the more we will learn about daily life in the Middle Ages.
Requirements for camping in the Medieval Village are:
- Keep modern obvious modern and activities out of sight. For example, no cans or modern bottles, no visible portable stereos, no modern clothing (except when setting up or breaking down), no visible modern camping equipment etc.
- Background noise should help create a medieval feel. For example, music (from your hidden stereo) should be medieval and at a low-volume to create an ambient medieval atmosphere for the camp.
- We encourage people to play medieval musical instruments or tell medieval stories, but please keep any conversations about modern subjects low, so that adjoining tents don’t hear them.
This year the period arts and sciences demonstrations will be conducted within the Medieval Village. Giving you a unique opportunity to converse with artisans and craftsman as they ply their trades in the finest tradition of living historians. Your Estrella War experience won’t be complete if you don’t stop by and visit for a while.
Ring out the bells! The Medieval Village will once again have a clock tower, gently heralding in each hour.
Again this year, we will be posting a large map at or near the period encampment area. If you are not camping in the Medieval Village but have a period encampment of your own and wish to have the public visit your camp, you can mark your location on this map to let everyone know where you are.
For more information about the Medieval Village and to request camping space there please to contact the Village Coordinator who will be happy to answer any questions.
4. The Knowne World Rapier Camp
Be it known to all that the second Knowne World Rapier Camp at Estrella War will be emplaced at Estrella War XXX. The Knowne World Rapier Camp will be on the road directly across from the Town Square and next to Atenveldt Royal Encampment.
Rapier Camps have their roots in historical traveling fight shows across Europe in the Medieval and Renaissance periods. These fight shows would be set up inside cities or on the edges of towns to put on contests of skill at arms.
Rapier Fighters from not only the Kingdom of Atenveldt but the Kingdoms and Principalities from across the Knowne World will gather to enjoy camaraderie and share stories of the day, the past, and naturally to test each other’s skills in the Rapier Eric. Members of the Camp will put on demonstrations of Heavy Rapier and Cut and Thrust Rapier throughout Estrella War.
The Knowne World Rapier Camp will:
- Put on Heavy Rapier Demonstrations and classes
- Put on Cut & Thrust Demonstrations and classes
- Host a variety of tournaments in the Camp’s eric, including the Second Estrella War Gun simulator (RBG) target shoot among others
The best part is that YOU, the campers, put all of these classes and demos on. The eric will be open from sun up to long after sun down for all to use. Come share stories, ask questions, watch or even join in the combat, as the Rapier Eric will be easily visible along the road.
Come share stories, ask questions, watch or even join in the combat, as the Rapier eric will be easily visible along the path. For questions please contact: TakaGo (Lord Koga Takashiro Kagehiro, Rapier Camp Steward).
5. Volunteers Needed
Everyone working at the Estrella War, from the main Event Coordinators to the person you see standing at the entrance directing traffic, is an unpaid volunteer. They work to make the Estrella War happen for many reasons.
- It’s fun to interact with people from all over the SCA world! We have people from as far as Sweden and Germany attend, so come meet them all!
- You can make new, lasting friendships! There’s nothing like the bonding that happens when people work together.
- You get a front row seat for lots of things! Field supporters and marshals get an “up close” view of the heavy combat, rapier, and youth combat.
Working makes you eligible for gifts given in a Volunteer Raffle! Each year, the generous merchants in Merchant’s Row donate gifts to be given to people who volunteer at Estrella War. When you complete your volunteer hours, you are given Raffle Voucher(s) for the hours and area where you worked, and asked to take those Vouchers to Volunteer Point to receive Raffle Tickets. The number of tickets you receive is based on the number of hours worked. Raffles are then held to randomly select people who have volunteered at the event to receive the wonderful items donated by the Estrella War merchants. See the Gatebook for the time and place that Volunteer Raffles will be held.
6. Hosting our EMT’s for Breakfast or Dinner
It is that time of year again when the Keepers of the Estrella War EMTs ask your assistance in showing our famous hospitality to the four gentlemen who keep us safe during the week of Estrella War. If your Kingdom, Barony, or Household would be willing host our EMTs for either breakfast or dinner during the week, please contact Lady Rowan at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Meal Time (Breakfast or Dinner)
- Date you wish to host
- Approximate Meal Time
- Approximate Camping Location (Please list your Kingdom, Barony and Household name so that we can find you at the actual War)
- Contact Name/s (Mundane and SCA)
- If you will have a phone available on site, a phone number
Please note that depending on the day, there will be 4 men to accommodate. These four gentlemen are celebrating their 8th year of service with us and one of the greatest times they have at our event is sharing meals with the multiple households from all of the different Kingdoms. We thank you in advance for your assistance in helping host our guests and we look forward to hearing from everyone!
Yours In Service,
Baroness Natalia and Lady Rowan
If you are hosting an activity or special event for Estrella War XXX and would like it to be promoted please send it to Mains2014@estrellawar.org and CC it to email@example.com.
PLEASE CROSS POST
Arianna Marie della Luna, Baroness of the Court
Estrella War XXX Promotions