THLord Stefan li Rous offers updates to Stefan's Florilegium for December 2013.
Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.
You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future.
If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past twenty-four years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.
For those who would like to have a more immediate update when files are updated, there is an RSS feed available on the site.
Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.
THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
- Atachng-Butns-art "Attaching Buttons to the Garment" by Mistress Dunstana Talana the Violet, OL. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Atachng-Butns-art.html
In the CULTURES section:
- Bedouins-msg The Bedouin peoples of the Middle East. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Bedouins-msg.html
- Estonia-msg Medieval Estonia. Medieval sites, food. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Estonia-msg.html
In the FOOD-BY_REGION section:
- fd-Japan-msg Food of medieval Japan. http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Japan-msg.html
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
- dried-meats-msg Dried meat and recipes in period. http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/dried-meats-msg.html
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- pastry-technq-msg Techniques in pastry making. http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/pastry-technq-msg.html
In the PERIOD-THOUGHT section:
- 9-Worthies-art "The Nine Worthies" by Kurios Halfdan "Two Bears" Ôzurrson. http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERIOD-THOUGHT/9-Worthies-art.html
In the SCA-SOCILOGY section:
- Concnsus-Mkng-art "Consensus Decision Making in the SCA" by Master Gareth Tancred Wilfrith. http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-Sociology-art.html
Here are the updated files for this month.
- East-hist-msg Histories of the East Kingdom.
- eggs-msg Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
- evnt-stewards-msg Suggestions for event stewards. (autocrats)
- fd-New-World-msg 16th C. food of and from the New World.
- p-sumpt-laws-msg Period sumptuary laws.
- turkeys-msg Use of turkeys in Renaissance Europe.
- verjuice-msg Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
With the upcoming Yule Holidays, which often include various pot luck dinners, here are a couple of updated files which might be of special interest:
- pot-luck-fsts-msg Handling 'pot luck' feasts in the SCA.
- pot-lck-ideas-msg Menu ideas for pot luck feasts and revels.
And a few other Yule holiday files:
- chestnuts-msg Medieval harvesting and use of chestnuts. Roasting. Recipes.
- finger-foods-msg Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events
- mincemeat-pie-msg Period mincemeat pies. Recipes.
- T-H-Dreidel-art "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
- The-Yule-Log-art "The Yule Log" by Lady Katharine of Caithness.
- Wassail-Trad-art "Wassail Traditions" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
Copyright 2013, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.