Estrella War XXX Invites gentle lords and ladies to Teach at our A&S Collegium!
We extend this invitation to all who have a desire to share their knowledge and skill with others. You do not need to be a Laurel to teach, but we certainly welcome Laurels to teach.
We are looking for Classes on Fighting Technique, Make and Take Classes, Basic skills Classes and Intermediate and Advanced skills Classes, Classes in Heraldry, Classes on Courtesies, Classes in European Dance, Classes in Calligraphy and Illumination, Classes in Medieval and Renaissance Cooking techniques, Classes in Embroidery, Classes on Banner Making, Classes on Nalbinding, Classes on Spinning Wool, Classes on Wood working, Classes on Middle Eastern Dance, Classes on Middle Eastern Drum, Classes on Bardic Arts, Classes for Youth, Classes on pre-17th Century Cultures, and Classes on SCA History including Estrella War History.
This list is just the tip of the mountaintop. We could not easily put in print every possible area of the Arts and Sciences that we study, but if your chosen area is not listed, please offer to teach and get the word out that your favorite art or science is something worth knowing.
If you wish to teach, please contact Lady Aoife, the A&S Class Coordinator, to get your class on her schedule. Here is the link to the sign-up
If you are not inclined to teach this year, please remember we also have A&S Demonstration (Demos) times available for you to show off your talent and skill. You may sign up for a Demo using the same form as for teaching.
We look forward to learning from you!
Estrella War XXX Mains
Victoria, Tigra and Magdalen
*KNOWN WORLD November 27, 2013 Estrella War Announcement Digest A&S Edition *(Please use the reference numbers next to the bolded categories to find the topics you wish to find out more about).
1. A&S Classes and Demonstrations - You are cordially invited to share your art, skill or special knowledge of these current Middle Ages to an
eager group of students. Interactive arts and science demonstrations will be offered.
2. A&S Competition is an inter-kingdom competition held to allow artisans of all ages to compete and receive feedback about their work from an inter-kingdom judging team.
3. A&S Showcase provides a setting where artisans can sit with medieval style works they have completed or have in progress, and discuss those pieces with SCA Peers and populace from many Kingdoms.
4. A&S 50 Challenge - This Challenge involves doing 50 things in the Arts and Sciences from now until May 1st, AS 50/2015, in honor of the SCA's 50th Birthday.
1. A&S Classes and Demonstrations
We want Estrella War XXX to be an event to be remembered for years to come and in order to do that, we need your help. Therefore, you are cordially invited to share your art, skill or special knowledge of these current Middle Ages to an eager group of students. Your classes can be as short as one hour and as long as a full day. Classes will be held Wednesday through Saturday, February 26-March 1, 2014 and begin at 9AM and finish by 6PM each day. You are also welcome to offer your class(es) at multiple times or days. If you have special requirements for the class, you may contact the Collegium Coordinator email@example.com to discuss these requirements.
Estrella War XXX Collegium will be bigger and better than ever before. Classes will be held in all categories, including arms/armour, cooking,
clothing, sciences, manuscript arts, performing arts, textiles, brewing, metalwork, leatherwork, heraldry and more. The classes will be held from Wednesday, February 26, 2014 through Saturday, March 1, 2014 and are open to anyone attending the war. Each day, classes begin at 9 AM and the last class will be finished by 6 pm to allow attendees to enjoy the evening festivities.
Classes are generally free, unless the instructor requests a material fee in the class description. See the class schedule for class dates, times, any associated materials fees, class size limits and age limits. Schedules will be posted on this website, in the gatebook, on kiosks throughout the war site and at the collegium. You may sign up the day of the classes starting at 8 AM and the classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. There will be wait lists for classes that have been filled and if there are any cancellations or no shows, the spaces will be filled from the wait lists.
As in 2013, the classes will be arranged in Colleges of related topics, which makes finding the classes you are interested in much easier!
The colleges are:
- The College of War; i.e., arms and amour, war machines, historical combat strategies, bowery/fletching, etc.
- The College of Culinary Arts
- The College of Clothing; Historical clothing, footwear, and accessories
- The College of Sciences
- The College of Manuscript Arts; parchment/paper making, inks, calligraphy and illuminations, book binding, cartography, etc.
- The College of Performing arts; music, spoken, dance, puppetry, juggling, etc.
- The College of Textile arts
- The College of the trades; woodworking, leather working. Brewing, metal work, ceramics, glass making, etc.
- The College of Heraldry
There will be an area set aside for participants to work on unfinished projects, wait for the next class to start or just soak up the artsy inspirational atmosphere.
Arts & Sciences Demonstrations
Interactive arts and science demonstrations will be offered in conjunction, and at the same location, as the arts and sciences Collegium. Four
workshops will be set up for artisans use to demonstrate their art or science. Workshops are scheduled in three-hour blocks. An artisan may also
request the booth for the duration of the entire day, or offer to demonstrate their art on two different days. These demonstrations are not for observation only, but to afford the person viewing the rare opportunity to try their hand at the art form being demonstrated. Imagine yourself emerged in an art form you have always wanted to try! Nothing gives you a deeper appreciation of an art form that to experience it for yourself.
Please help us to promote the arts and sciences and inspire new artisans. Nothing is as rewarding as to see that spark ignite in someone?s eyes when they get their first taste of the pure potentiality of the artistic creative process. Demonstrations are a no fuss way to share your passion and expertise.
Sign up to be a demonstrational artist using the online A&S Teacher Sign-up
2. ESTRELLA WAR XXX ARTS & SCIENCES COMPETITION CATEGORIES
- Dyeing: Any pre-17th Century item that has been treated to change the color through the process of dyeing; not painting or staining. The main focus of the category is on the process used. Documentation should include all materials used and a detailed description of the process. Include specific time period or region and appropriateness for the material. The process should be complete and have been applied to a medium. Any actual dyes brought must be in a sealed container.
- Favors: Traditional favors are tokens of love, affection or remembrance often given to fighters from their consorts in the SCA. The favor is something that could be worn on the person and symbolizes a special relationship. The favor should be able to be feasibly worn, be made of any pre-17th century medium and be no larger than 12 inches in any direction. The entry must be a completed item and have an SCA usage.* NOTE: scarves, sleeves, or items of equal size can be entered, as an attached favor that could/would be folded in two to hang and or attach, will then fit in a 12 inch square.
- Subtleties: Any pre-17th Century Western Europe presentation of food intended to be a form of entertainment. Presentation should be documented to the time period and country. Although the food items included should be originally edible, the finished product need not be edible. A list of ingredients should be included with documentation as well as indicating whether or not the item is edible, and if it can be sampled.
ARTS & SCIENCES COMPETITION
The Estrella War Arts & Sciences Competition is an inter-kingdom competition held to allow artisans compete and receive feedback about their
work from an inter-kingdom judging team. Competitors are not declaring for a side but enter the competition for the individual glory. The winner of
each category will be declared the Estrella War Arts & Sciences Champion for their area.
The competition is:
1. Coordinated by Atenveldt's Minister of Arts & Sciences firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Open to any entrants who wish to compete
3. Limited to three categories of Arts and Sciences
4. Governed by rules that are based off of previously accepted and negotiated rules from prior Estrella Wars.
5. For complete details on the polling process used to determine the categories please visit the Estrella page of the Kingdom of Atenveldt Ministry of Arts & Sciences website http://arts.atenveldt.org/Estrella.
The categories for competition at each war are selected at least 12 months in advance giving artisans ample time to prepare entries for the
competition. For example, the categories for the Estrella War XXX (February 2014) Arts & Sciences Competition was decided by TRM Majesties Of Atenveldt, with assistance from KMoAS of Atenveldt, Dame Jennifer Trethewy, and the final report from a Society wide Poll results. Since there is no treaty for Estrella War XXX, the categories for Estrella War XXXI will be determined by a *polling* of the populace and announced at Estrella War XXX (February 2014).
YOUTH ARTS & SCIENCES COMPETITION
Since we did not get a lot of entries in 2013 as we had hoped, to make it even easier to enter Youth A&S Competition we are keeping the same Youth A&S Category. The ages that can compete are from eleven years of age to seventeen years of age and only one entry per youth. All Youth A&S Competition Rules are on the Kingdom of Atenveldt Arts and Sciences web site, under the Estrella tab.
ESTRELLA WAR XXX ARTS & SCIENCES YOUTH COMPETITION CATEGORIES
This year again it will be:
1. Artifacts (e.g., heraldic display, bowery/fletching. ceramics/pottery, jewelry/decorative pieces, calligraphy and/or illumination, needlework, toys and games, footwear/accessories, etc.)
For full information about the rules and schedule and to learn more about how this competition has been run in prior years, go to the Estrella page
of the Kingdom of Atenveldt Ministry of Arts & Sciences website http://arts.atenveldt.org/Estrella. If you are interested in judging or assisting with running the competition, or you have questions about the categories for the competition, please contact Coordinated by Atenveldt?s Minister of Arts & Sciences email@example.com
POLL -ESTRELLA WAR XXXI 2015ARTS & SCIENCES COMPETITION CATEGORY
Please go to the Vote for the Categories for the 2015 EW A&S Competition categories. Go to the Estrella page of the Kingdom of Atenveldt Ministry of Arts & Sciences website http://arts.atenveldt.org/Estrella.
3. Artisan Showcase
An annual Artisan Showcase is held at Estrella War, to provide a setting where artisans can sit with medieval style works they have completed or
have in progress, and discuss those pieces with SCA Peers and populace from many SCA Kingdoms. The event is intended to invite questions, advice, commentary and interaction between Peers, populace and artisans in a relaxed, social environment.
All members of the populace are invited to participate, either as an artisan showing pieces, or as someone who wishes to view the displays and
speak with artisans. Appropriate displays include all forms of Arts & Sciences studied in the SCA, including (but not limited to) calligraphy and illumination, furniture, heraldic display, clothing and accessories, armor, metalwork and casting, leatherwork, lace work, embroidery, beadwork,
ceramic arts, glasswork, cooking, brewing and medieval style performing arts. Artisans who have documentation for their pieces are encouraged to bring the documentation so it may be included in their display. It is for non-laurels in attendance only, and is the perfect medium for artisans to
display their works and get to discuss their passion for their art form with the Laurels, Crowns and populace from all over the Known World.
All members of the Noble Order of the Laurel from throughout the Known World are invited to participate. Appropriate displays are the same as the
Traditional Showcase. Documentation and source material is heavily encouraged. In this Showcase the roles are reversed and the Laurels get the
opportunity to share their body of works. Most importantly, their range of information and understanding of their art forms are yours just for the asking.
4. A&S 50 Challenge
As Estrella War celebrates its 30th year, we look to the 50th year of the Society with The A&S 50 Challenge. This Challenge involves doing 50 things in the Arts and Sciences from now until May 1st, AS 50/2015, in honor of the SCA's 50th Birthday. The Estrella XXX - A&S 50 Challenge Display is an opportunity for Challengers from all over the Knowne World to gather together and celebrate the Arts and Sciences in scholarship and good fellowship. The Challenge started in 2007, but is an open-ended, individual pursuit that can be started at anytime.
Estrella War XXX invites A&S 50 Challengers to come out to war and display their achievements -- whether they be completed or in progress. This may be done by bringing out the actual items made, much like an Artisan's Display, or one could prepare a presentation like a school science fair with tri-fold display boards, or one could bring photos to share of one's progress, or one could display with sample performances or demonstrations. Here is it's main webpage: http://artsandsciences50.org/pb/wp_e3b21067/wp_e3b21067.html
The Challenge is a chance to develop skills and learn more about what interests you in a non-competitive, community-based environment. YOU decide what you want to create and get encouragement from the Challenge Community along the way. There are three types of Challenges, outlined below. You can do one or several, alone or in groups - it is all up to you!
The Three Kinds of Challenges:
- The Depth Challenge - 50 of any one type of thing, in order to push your skills and knowledge to new levels (how broadly you define this is up to you)
- The Breadth Challenge - do/make/learn 50 new and different things (how new, and how different is up to you/your group)
- The Persona Challenge - making/learning 50 different things that your persona would know, have, or know how to do
Please join us to celebrate our Society's 50 years through the Arts and Sciences!
If you are hosting an activity or special event for Estrella War XXX and would like it to be promoted please send it to Mains2014@estrellawar.organd CC it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arianna Marie della Luna, Baroness of the Court
Estrella War XXX Promotions