Henry VIII's perfectly preserved wine cellar is underneath Britain's Ministry of Defence building - floating in a subterranean chamber.
The wine cellar was originally built by Cardinal Wolsey as part of York Place, the London residence of the archbishops of York. (Wolsey, it was noted, was apparently the first person in England to receive a shipment of champagne.)
Re-discovered in the 1930s, the preservation of the cellar wasn't completed until many years later when the 1000-ton (900 metric ton) building was protectively enclosed in concrete, steel and brick, and moved back nearly 34 feet (10.4 metres). (photos)
While the cellar is still used for some special dinners and receptions hosted by the Ministry of Defence, it is not open to the public.