TH Lady Ysabeau Tiercelin, Chronicler for the Society for Creative Anachronism, has announced the Annual William Blackfox Awards for A.S. XLVI. The Blackfox Awards recognized excellence in the field of newsletter production, writing and illustration.
As announced in Tournaments Illuminated:
Once again it is time to salute the efforts of the Chroniclers of the Known World. It is gratifying to see all the beautiful and information filled newsletters nominated for the Annual William Blackfox Awards for A.S. XLVI.
As always there were tough choices to be made between the nominations. It is very rare that there is a clear winner and this year there were many very close contests. My thanks to the people who offered their opinions and expertise in judging this year: Lady Brianna of Arundel, Dame Magda z Stalburg, THL Brianna O’Dinneen, Sir Tojenareum Grenville of Devon, Mistress Melisent le Ruse, Lord Robin of Restormel, Sir John Peregrine of Restormel and Lou Swanson.
This year I would also like to salute one Chronicler in particular. This person has been nominated for at least 20 Blackfox Awards over the years (and won some, too). I remember seeing her work when I served in this office before (2000 to 2003) and it is remarkable she is still serving. I am in awe and amazed at the volume and quality of work generated by this lady. Thus, a Special Achievement Blackfox Award goes to Meistres Brownwen o Gydweli, Chronicler and contributor for The Equinox, newsletter for the Shire of Sol Haven in the Kingdom of Meridies.
To the Chroniclers of the Known World: Keep up the great work! To the populace who benefits from these newsletters, take time to contribute artwork and articles to enrich the content of the newsletters. If nothing else let your Chroniclers know you appreciate their efforts. In faithful service, Countess Honor of Restormel, OP Publications Manager (Society Chronicler 2010-2012)
The newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of SCA goals and ideals. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
From the Tower, Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac, Chronicler: Mýrún Johansdottir.
- Windfalls, Shire of Coppertree, Chronicler: Lady Aerin Wren.
- Il Tempo, Barony of Ponte Alto, Chronicler: Damen Adina von der Heide.
- The Seraph, Barony of the Angels, Chronicler: Duchess Natalya de Foix.
- The Tydes, Barony of Lyondemere, Chronicler: Lord Pierre de Dieppe.
- The Dancing Moon, Shire of Calanais Nuadh, Chronicler: Lady Dulcibella de Chateaurien.
- The Parade, Shire of Herald’s Hill, Chronicler: Lord Sifrid von Eichelborn.
- The Chronicle, Barony of Skraeling Althing, Chronicler: Lord Dafydd ap Alan.
- The Seahorse, Crown Province of Ostgardr, Chronicler: Rufina Cambrensis.
- The Snowflake, Barony of Concordia of the Snows, Chronicler: Mistress eLeri Nefyn/Lady Pakshalika Kananbala.
- Viaduct, Barony of An Dubhaigeainn, Chronicler: Lady Alissenda la Gailharda.
- Ardanrunes, Shire of Ardanroe, Chronicler: Barun Rory ua Riada.
- The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven, Chronicler: Meistres Bronwen o Gydweli.
- The Citadel, Barony of Cynnabar, Chronicler: Lord Ermenrich von Duisberg.
- RivenStar, Barony of Rivenstar, Chronicler: Lady Marian Hryhorcova.
- Voice of Dune, Canton of Dun Traigh, Chronicler: Lord Walter Mareshall
- Spearpoint, Barony of Red Spears, Chronicler: Mistress Helewyse de Birkstad, Baroness Red Spears.
- Gryphon’s Tale, Barony of Flaming Gryphon, Chronicler: Lady Elena mac Pherson.
- Zephyr, Barony of Ayreton, Chronicler: Lady Margrette Norwoode and deputy: Mistress Sarafina Sinclair.
- The Skein, Barony of Jararvellir, Chronicler: Leona Talbot.
- The Song of the Tower, Barony of Caer Anterth Mawr, Chronicler: Tatiana Marana Melville.
- Fortress, Barony of Caerthe, Chronicler: Dona Dearbhail inghean Leoid.
- Meiassis Dragon, Barony of Dragonsspine, Chronicler: Bernadette de Costa Tempestad.
- Darkwood Drum, Barony of Darkwood, Chronicler: Baroness Grania Buchanan.
- The Eskalyan Chronicle, Barony of Eskalya, Chronicler: Mistress Cynehild Cynesigesdohtor.
Best Layout and Design
For the best-looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The Winners: **TIE**
- The Q.D., Barony of Caer Mear, Kingdom of Atlantia, Chronicler: Lady Ysabella Cacemoine
- The Ursus, Barony of Septentria, Kingdom of Ealdormere, Chronicler: Baroness Seonaig nic Thomais
- Full Tilt, Barony of Delftwood, Chronicler: Lady Desiderata Drake.
- The Oracle, The Barony of Bonwicke, Chronicler: Sir Chiang Chi-sh h.
- The Thorny Truth, The Shire of Rosenfeld, Chronicler: Mistress Juliana Avenel.
- Serpent’s Tongue, Barony of Calafia, Chronicler: Baroness Veronique de Viennois.
- The Barge, Barony of Three Rivers, Chronicler: Lord Julian O Néill.
- The Clarion, Barony of Forgotten Sea, Chronicler: Lady Narcissa Patricius.
- Aarniwalcea, Barony of Aarnimetsä, Chronicler: Lady Filisia Eriksdotter Gift.
- The Cataract, Barony of Rising Waters, Chronicler: Baroness Ariadne Athingana.
- The Mudpuppy, Barony of Settmour Swamp, Chronicler: THL Owynn Greenwood
- Quid Nunc, Barony of Ruantallan, Chronicler: Mistress Zaneta Gavlinne Angiolieri.
- The Viaduct, Barony of An Dubhaigeainn, Chronicler: Lady Alissenda la Gailharda.
- The Littoral, Shire of Northover, Chronicler: Lady Alsinda de Rochabaron.
- RivenStar, Barony of Rivenstar, Chronicler: Lady Marian Hryhorcova.
- Gryphon’s Tale, Barony of Flaming Gryphon, Chronicler: Lady Elena mac Pherson.
- Spearpoint, Barony of Red Spears, Chronicler: Mistress Helewyse de Birkstad, Baroness Red Spears
- Siren’s Song, Barony of Illiton, Chronicler: Lady Muriel Zimmermanin.
- Fortress, Barony of Caerthe, Chronicler: Dona Dearbhail inghean Leoid
- Meiassis Dragon, Barony of Dragonsspine, Chronicler: Bernadette de Costa Tempestad
For artwork on the cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to both the newsletter and the artist.
- Phoenix, Barony of the Sacred Stone, Kingdom of Atlantia, Artist: Master Bran Trefonnen.
- The Tydes, April 2012, Barony of Lyondemere, Artist: Tiarna Ciothruadh Dubh.
- Baronial Banner, August 2011, Barony of Starkhafn, Artist: THL Maelbrigit of Dublin.
- The Unicorn's Tale, March 2012, Shire of Trinovantia Nova, Artist: Lady Muirne Ultach.
- The Clochette, June 2011, Barony of Carillion, Artist: Mistress Kis Maria.
- The Clochette, December 2011, Barony of Carillion, Artist: Lady Lilly of the Valley.
- Gryphon’s Tale, May 2011, Barony of Flaming Gryphon, Artist: Lady Syrena-Katheryne Grai.
- Gryphon’s Tale, Winter 2012, Barony of Flaming Gryphon, Artist: Lady Isra alZarqa.
- Siren’s Song, “Winter Morning” Fall 2011, Barony of Illiton, Artist: Lord Mike Pozar.
Best Special Issue
For an Arts & Sciences issue or other limited-focus issues of a geographic group (Canton, Shire, Barony, etc.). Awarded to both the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The Winners: ** TIE**
- Well Versed VI, Kingdom of Northshield, Chronicler: Viscountess Elashava bas Riva.
- The Ursus, Barony of Septentria, Kingdom of Ealdormere, Chronicler: Baroness Seonaig nic Thomais (Baronial Candidates Issue).
- Full Tilt, Barony of Delftwood, Chronicler: Lady Desiderata Drake, (A&S Issue).
- The Boar’s Snore, Barony of Coeur d’Ennui, Chronicler: Atsutaka, (April Fool’s Edition).
- Foli Roani, Barony of Rowany, Chronicler: Lady Dragana Rózsa (Newsletter for newcomers).
- The Gauntlet, Region of Pentamere, Chronicler: Lord Rijckaert von Utrecht, (Scandinavian Issue).
- Hawk’s Flight, Shire of Blackhawk, Chronicler: Lady Hendrikje Novella Duin with contributor Lord Patrick von Brandenburg (Camping Survival issue).
- Citadel, Barony of Cynnabar, Chronicler: Lord Ermemrich von Duisberg (Peerage issue).
- Voice of Dune, Canton of Dun Traigh, Chronicler: Lord Walter Mareshall (Bread Issue).
Best Special Interest
This category recognizes guild newsletters, research newsletters, and Arts & Science-focus newsletters (such as lace-making). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- The Calon Scrolls, Kingdom of Calontir, Chronicler: Lady Melisent McAffee.
- The Crows Nest, The Corsarium, Chronicler: Lady Fríða in hárfagra.
- Ars Scientia Orientalis, Kingdom of the East, Chronicler: Lord Aleksei Dmitriev.
Best Regular Feature
For those cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
- Ardanrunes, “The Ardanroe Herbarium” by THL Rovena of Bri Leith, Shire of Ardanroe, Kingdom of Gleann Abhann.
- The Apple Press, “Happenings in the Shire” by THL Hrefna Ulfvarinnsdottir, Shire of Sylvan Glen.
- The Sundog’s Tale, “March (or April, or etc.) in the Middle Ages and Mungo” by Lady Wynfryda of Lyn, Shire of Sigelhundas, Avacal.
- The Shadow Knows, “The Shadow Reader” by Lord Paedric O Mullan, The Shire of the Shadowlands.
- The Q.D., “Musings from the Mad Monk” by Sir Amos the Pious, Barony of Caer Mear.
- Gyldenholt Press, “Announcements” by Lady Carol of Gyldenholt, Gyldenholt Press, Barony of Gyldenholt.
- The Parade, “Member Review” by Lord Sifrid von Eichelborn, Shire of Herald’s Hill.
- The Baelfyr, “ Tips from Ceara’s Kitchen” by Lady Ceara inghean Eoin mhic Lucais, Principality of Insulae Draconis.
- The Chronicle, “Avelyn's Book Nook” by Lady Avelyn Wexcombe of Great Bedwyn, Barony of Skraeling Althing.
- The Clarion, “Off Boar'd” by Lady Augusta, Barony of Ben Dunfirth.
- Viaduct, “Seen on the Web” by Lady Alissenda la Gailharda, Barony of An Dubhaigeainn.
- The Equinox, “The Muse” by Meistres Bronwen o Gydweli, Shire of Sol Haven.
- RivenStar, “Event Reports” by Lady Marian Hryhorcova, Barony of Rivenstar.
- Zephyr, “Event Reports: Terpsichore: Delight in Dancing” by Lady Margrette Norwoode, Barony of Ayreton.
- Zephyr, “Emma” by Baroness Nadezda de ZeZaztrizl, Barony of Ayreton.
- Meiassis Dragon, “Gentleman's Elizabethan Construction Manual - Clothier's VI – Drawers” by Lady Lêofsige Õ Caoimh, Barony of of Dragonsspine.
- Meiassis Dragon, “Noble Elizabethan Lady's Basic Construction Manual” by Lady Lêofsige Õ Caoimh, Barony of Dragonsspine.
Recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The Winner: **TIE**
- “Variations On A Theme (The Making of Henrician Kirtle And Gown)” by Baroness Mary Verch Thomas, The Baelfyr, Principality of Insulae Draconis, Kingdom of Drachenwald.
- “The Matter of Birthstones,” Parts I & II by Mornay of Anglesey, Dreiburgen News, Barony of Dreiburgen, Kingdom of Caid.
- “Event Report: Yule Feast” by HL Dunstan, The Looking Glass, Barony of Glymm Mere.
- “Decorating with Fabric Paint” by HL Lavinna de Beaujolais, The Looking Glass, Barony of Glymm Mere.
- “Symposium Kitchen: A Feast of Thank Yous” by Mistress Tessa of the Gardens, The Trumpeter, The Barony of Bordermarch.
- “How I Became a Protégé,” by Dýrrfina Freviðardòttir, The Windlore, Barony of Windmaster’s Hill.
- “The Bard I Want to Be” by THL Sadb ingen Abner uí Lorccaín, Gyldenholt Press, Barony of Gyldenholt.
- “Reversible Blackwork” by Baron Giles Hill, Gyldenholt Press,Barony of Gyldenholt.
- “Cheese Making for Beginners” by Lady Caitilín Bhallach, Gyldenholt Press,Barony of Gyldenholt.
- “Some Thoughts on Tradition” by Messer Giuseppe Francesco da Borgia, Gyldenholt Press, Barony of Gyldenholt.
- “A Few Christmas Legends and the Origins of Some Holiday Traditions" by Sir Paul Stoddard, Baronial Banner, Barony of Starkhafn.
- “Pietro de Crescenzi: His Life and Work” by Lady Dulcibella de Chateaurien, The Dancing Moon, Shire of Calanais Nuadh.
- "Excellent Small Cakes," Mistress Odette de St. Remy, Ramshaven Herald, Barony of RamsHaven.
- "Improving Authenticity in your Early Period Fabrics" by Countess Rylyn Buchanan, Ramshaven Herald, RamsHaven.
- “History of Marionettes up to the Early 1600s: With a Focus on the Asian and European Continents” by Mistress Kis Maria, The Clochette, Barony of Carillion.
- “Purpose-made Garters, Spindle and Loom” by Lady Elizabeth Elenore Lovell, Ars Scientia Orientalis.
- “Prayer Beads 101” by Lady Éliane de Lorraine, Ars Scientia Orientalis.
- “The Ardanroe Herbarium” by THL Rovena of Bri Leith, Ardanrunes, Shire of Ardanroe.
- “Making easy fabric ties” by Alliette Delecourt, Stormscroll, Barony of Stormhold.
- “Shining the Torchlight” by THL Ermenrich von Duisberg, Citadel, Barony of Cynnabar.
- “Yeastie Beasties” by Lady Femke de Roas, Voice of Dune, Canton of Dun Traigh.
- “Making Bread with Ale Yeast” by Lady Femke de Roas, Voice of Dune, Canton of Dun Traigh.
- “How to Make Rosewater” by Lady Tilla Chandler, Gryphon’s Tale, Barony of Flaming Gryphon.
- “Tribute to Baron Orson” by Baron Master Moonwulf; photo essay by Lady Muriel Zimmermanin, Siren’s Song, Barony Illiton.
- “Spanish Breeches of the Sixteenth Century” by Mistress Katharine of Northhall, The Baronial Shaft, Barony of al-Barran.
- “Largess from the store: I’m not an artisan, but I want to contribute to largess … what can I buy?” by Bernadette de Costa Tempestad, Meiassis Dragon, Barony of Dragonsspine.
- “Blood, Sweat and Swears: The learning and doing of the arts - Inkle Weaving for Dummies” by Elena De Braci, Meiassis Dragon, Barony of Dragonsspine.
Best Poetry or Short Fiction
Recognizes the author of an outstanding poem or piece of short fiction. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
- “War Storm” by Master Fridrikr Tomasson av Knusslig Hamn, Fewmet, Barony of Thescorre, Kingdom of Æthelmearc.
- “The Last Saxon Queen,” by Baron Bardulf, The Quill, Barony of Nottinghill Coill.
- “Let All Rejoice, It Is The Time of Spring,” a Petrarchan Sonnet by Herzog Dietrich von Vogelsang, Gyldenholt Press, Barony of Gyldenholt.
- “Sol Invictus Had Conquered All The Pour,” a Petrarchan Sonnet by Herzog Dietrich von Vogelsang, Gyldenholt Press, Barony of Gyldenholt.
- Untitled Poem by Friherre Jens inn draumspaki, Gyldenholt Press, Barony of Gyldenholt.
- “In Service to the Dream” by Lorenzino Barolome dei Albizzi, The Runestaff, Barony of Mag Mor.
- “The Falcon Flies Home” by Fujihara Murasaki, The Dragonflyer, Barony of Vatavia.
- “Tancred's Song” by Lady Ysabeau de Comport, The Cataract, Barony of Rising Waters.
- “Poem from Investiture” by Quyn of Bhakail, The Iron Monger, Barony of Iron Bog.
- “Loyalty Be” by Lady Evangeline d’Orleans, Quid Nunc, Barony of Ruantallan.
- “Maelgwyn ap Caderyn” by Lady Alana O’Keeve, The Thorn, Shire of Blak Rose.
- “The Makers” by Meistres Bronwen o Gydweli, The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven.
- “The Heralds” by Meistres Bronwen o Gydweli, The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven.
- “Saint Cynnabarius and the Missing Baron” by Master Midair MacCormaic, Citadel, Barony of Cynnabar.
- “We Brave Who Go Marching” by Lord Agnarr Tyr Johanson, Gryphon’s Tale, Barony of Flaming Gryphon.
- “The Silver Hammer” by Lady Raghnailt, Gauntlet, Region of Pentamere.
- “We’ll Not Stand Alone” by Lady Kasia Welnatarczy, Gauntlet, Region of Pentamere.
- “Baron Darkes Mac Bey “ by Lady Veronique, Novelle, Barony of Fontaine dans Sable.
Best Written Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the author of an article, regular or special feature, poem, etc. provided for use by a Kingdom Newsletter. Awarded to the author.
- “Book Review” by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, August 2011, Pikestaff, Kingdom of the East.
- “The Peppermill: Old-Time Tools” by Master Giuseppe Francesco da Borgia, March 2012, Crown Prints.
- “Flokkr for Gabriel” by Master Toki Redbeard, August 2011, Pikestaff.
- “The Bog Coat” by Anneke von Eisenberg, November 2012, Popular Chivalry.
- “Momoyama Period: Evolution of Japanese Arts” by Lady Kimiko, August 2011, The Pale.
- “On Diverse Things, Chapter 3: On A&S Pentathlons” by Duke Sir Alen Elegil, September 2011, The Pale.
Best Artistic Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the artist of a piece provided for use by a Kingdom Newsletter. Awarded to the artist.
- Cover Art April 2012, The Page, Artist: Anita Ruic, Kingdom of the West.
- Cover Art April 2012, The Æstel, Artist: Master Cynwye McDare.
- Cover Art October 2011, The Crown Prints, Artist: Robert Lanternsmith
- Cover Art February 2012, The Crown Prints, Artist: Brenda Stumpf
- Cover Art July 2011, The Crown Prints, Artist: Ciothruadh Dubh
- Cover Art December 2011, The Mews, Artist: Lady Lavina le Rider
- Cover Art February 2012, The Mews, Artist: Lady Lavina le Rider
- Cover Art July 2011, The Tidings, Artist: Lady Muirne Ultach.
- Cover Art August 2011, The Tidings, Artist: Lady Muirne Ultach.
- Cover Art September 2011, The Tidings, Artist: Lord Ulrich of Greyfells.
- Cover Art October 2011, Pikestaff, Artist: Mistress Carolyne de LaPointe.
- Cover Art January 2012, Pikestaff, Artist: Lady Creatura Christi of Oakes.
- Cover Art April 2012, Pikestaff, Artist: Syr Culann mac Cianain.
- Cover Art April 2012, Popular Chivalry, Artist: THL Bragg MacMorrichai.
- Cover Art March 2012, The Pale, Artist: Lord Tariq al Sanna af Fjall.
- Cover Art March 2012, Northwatch, Artist: Lady Simonis Adriane.
- Cover Art January 2012, Northwatch, Artist: Lady Simonis Adriane.
- Cover Art, March 2012, Outlandish Herald, Artist: Lord Giovanni.
- Cover Art, May 2012, Outlandish Herald, Artist: Lord Rioghan.
- Cover Art July 2011, The Page, Artist: Lord Oddvarr Hvítbein
- Cover Art January 2012, The Page, Artist: Vicountess Uta Fellhammer
Nominations which didn't fit into the above categories, yet are still deserving of recognition for their exceptional work and/or dedication to producing the best possible newsletter for the local group served. Awarded to the individual nominee.
- Lady Elss of Augsberg, The Althing, Barony March of the Debatable Lands.
Lady Elss always completes the newsletter on time and does a great job providing a quality publication for her Barony. Consistent and steady service and a stellar Baronial newsletter!
- Lady Stella da Lodi, The Key, Canton of Middlegate.
This Chronicler is so beloved there was a populace nomination for a Blackfox Award. She has made significant changes to the newsletter during her tenure creating a beautiful and beneficial newsletter for and with the contributions of the the populace of her Canton. An extraordinary newsletter for a Canton!
- Neassa inghenn Cearnach, The Banner, Barony of the Lonely Tower.
Because of the dedication of this Chronicler, The Banner has improved significantly during her tenure. The Banner is a very attractive newsletter packed lots of information for the populace with a nice use of colored pictures and artwork. Keep up the beautiful work! Fujihara Murasaki, The Dragonflyer, Barony of Vatavia. Changes have been made to this newsletter to better meet the needs of the populace of the Barony of Vatavia. Much improved!
- Lord Arnulf der Zeitlner and Lady Mechthild Quattermart, Frankmark Express, Central Region of Drachenwald.
The Frankmark Express is a new newsletter for German speakers in Drachenwald. Excellent example of using a newsletter to meet the needs of the populace. The issue submitted with the nomination was 22 pages long! Well done!
- Lady Rosamond de Montfort, The Rhol, Canton of Abertridwr.
Lady Rosamond produces a consistent high quality newsletter. Keep up the great work!
- Lady Dragana Rózsa, Foli Roani, Barony of Rowany.
The February/March was a fantastic read and well thought out. It presented well for first timers and may well be the foundation for future recruitment newsletters. Well done!
- Mistress Kirsten Thorsteinsdottir, Currents, Shire of Riviere Constelle.
Consistently a quality publication. Nice use of color clip art and photos along with some lovely articles. Beautiful!
- Lady Reyna Thorne, Talon Tales, Shire of Talonvale.
Thanks to the dedicated work of Lady Reyna, Talon Tales reflects the shire in a positive light. Great job!
- Lady Saoirse o’Callaghan, Flammeus Alles, Barony of Fenix.
This newsletter is a beautiful reflection of the Barony of Fenix. Well done!
- Lady Celestria de Cranham, Gale Winds, Shire of Altenberg.
The dedication of this chronicler is evident even when there isn’t much to report. Keep up the good work.