The Shire of Mynydd Gwyn is pleased to host one of the premier events in Insulae Draconis: come to fight, fence, shoot and dance to your heart's delight, on the grounds of a 15th century Welsh Borders castle.
Friday 17 August 2012
This year Ffair Rhaglen is honoured host the Investiture of our beloved Prince and Princess, as well as tournaments to determine their Protectors.
Wednesday 15th to Monday 20th August AS 47 (CE 2012).
Site opens 1400 h on Wednesday and closes 1200 h on Monday.
Raglan Castle (no street address)
Off the A40, 7 miles SW of Monmouth, Gwent, SE Wales.
Note that this is a period site owned by CADW, and as such has limited facilities (no showers, no kitchen).
Full weekend Day trip (single day only)
Up to and including 28 July After 28 July
Adult £20 £25 £10
Child 6–12 years £5 £2.50
Child under 6 years free
Early registration discount: register on or before 28 July to benefit from the earlybird discount! After 28 July the adult price increases to £25 (no change to single day or child rates).
Event numbers are limited by CADW to 150 attendees, to preserve this heritage site. Book early to avoid disappointment.
Payment in advance by UK residents please; cheques should be made payable to "SCA Shire of Mynydd Gwyn".
Non-UK guests, please send travel details (i.e. flight or ferry dates) ASAP to confirm your booking.
IMPORTANT! Allocation of places
Due to the popularity of this event and the limit of 150 places there is a chance that we may become fully booked. Therefore, bookings will be taken as follows:
Places will initially be allocated on a first come, first served basis. If we reach the maximum 150 people additional registrants will be added to the active waiting list.
On 1 July any places that have not been guaranteed will be offered to the active waiting list and allocated on a first paid, first served basis. To guarantee your place, please pay in advance (UK residents only) or forward a copy of your travel booking (non-UK residents).
If you have not guaranteed your booking by 1 July your place will be offered to those on the waiting list and you may lose it.
Food is self-catering. To cook food on site, all fires must be raised off the ground with trays underneath to catch embers. Do not disturb or remove the turf (CADW rules).
There is a cafe 5–10 minutes walk from the castle
Raglan village is a brisk 15-minute walk from the castle, with shops, pubs and other food outlets. There are a number of hotels and B&Bs in Raglan village.
The site is discreetly wet. Please keep modern beverage containers out of sight in and around the castle.
Raglan recycles! Please separate your cans and bottles from your rubbish, for the recycling run, and drop them off as you leave.
Please indicate in your booking:
- the style of your tent (modern or period)
- the FULL dimensions of your tent, including any awnings/extensions
- both dimensions with and without guy-ropes (we may have to cross ropes in some areas)
- if your tent has the door in a specific location (so that we can ensure space for access)
- if you have any particular preference for who you would like to camp near, so that we can attempt to site you together (although we cannot guarantee this).
No tent pegs are to penetrate the ground deeper than 75 mm (CADW rules).
In deference to the neighbours, no setting up of tents will be permitted after 2300 h. Please bear this in mind when planning your travel arrangements.
Dogs are permitted this year – please see the guidelines below.
The site is non-smoking.
Crash space is yet to be confirmed, but we may have limited space available in a crash tent again this year. Please indicate your interest with your booking.
Guidelines for guests with dogs
CADW has grown more dog-friendly since we started playing at Raglan, and dogs are now allowed on site. Following last year's trial, we are allowing guests to bring dogs again this year. If you are bringing a dog, please let us know in your booking. You will be asked to sign a waiver at registration.
If you are bringing a dog you must:
- keep them on a lead, held by a familiar/responsible person
- ensure they're tagged appropriately (your legal name, contact number)
- clean up after them
- keep them well fed and watered (no begging at camps or from daytime guests, and don't let them swelter in a hot tent or car)
- please be considerate of guests and members of the public who may have allergies or who may not be comfortable around dogs
The comfort of the human attendees, and the CADW staff, will take priority. If we get complaints about noise or poor behaviour we will ask you to take your dog home.
Monmouthshire has a local dog warden, who is responsible for strays. Tel: 01633 644705.
Eleanor of Dovebridge
Gwenllian verch Andras
Maredudd ap Gwylim
Mary verch Thomas
As Raglan grows, it needs more people to keep it running smoothly!
- When you register, please indicate where you would like to help. Assistance is particularly welcome for:
- willing drivers to make pickup and dropoff runs to Newport for coach and train travellers
- marshals and constables for scenarios for armoured combat, rapier and archery
- setting up and taking down tournament settings (i.e. torchlight tournament, passage at arms)
- unofficial waterbearing
- site heralding
- staffing the gate to allow after hours access to the site
- assisting the reservations clerk at gate on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- co-ordinating the dancing and music at the ball on Saturday evening. We particularly need willing musicians!
Cardiff International Airport (www.cwlfly.com) is the closest to the site. Bristol International Airport (www.bristolairport.co.uk) is also relatively close.
Take a train to Newport where you may either catch a local bus (every 2 hours) to Raglan, take a taxi or pre-arrange a pick-up.
The nearest coach station is Newport. Again please either catch the local bus, take a taxi or pre-arrange a pick-up.
Pick-ups can only be made from Newport, and are at a cost of £5 per carload each way. Pick-ups must be arranged in advance. Please give the money to the driver on the day. When requesting a pick-up please give us an idea of how much luggage/equipment you will be bringing so that we can ensure there will be enough space.
From the M4 leave at junction 24 and follow the A449 north till it joins the A40; from the M5 take M50 SW, which becomes the A449, till it joins the A40. Take the A40 towards Raglan. At the roundabout do a U-turn and come back along the A40. On your left is a small turning leading up to Raglan Castle.