The Barony of Marinus challenges the Populace of Atlantia to a contest of Wit, Skill, and Charm! Who among you can claim the title of the Perfect Courtier?
We have designed a delightful new event based on The Book of the Courtier by Baldassare Castiglione, a day of contests designed to reveal who in Atlantia can win the Courtier's Challenge. The tasks before you are Fighting, Performance, Interview of Kingdom knowledge, Games and of course Charming the Populace. Come and enjoy this day with us!
The tasks we have set up are:
- Fighting- Candidates will be required to show their fighting skill in a list. There is both an armor list as well as a fencing list. Points will be awarded reflecting each candidate's standing at the end of the day's fighting.
- Performance- Each candidate shall be asked to demonstrate skill at some mode of entertainment of the candidate's choosing (dance, sing, recite a poem, play an instrument, tell a tale, etc.). A candidate, who has created an original work, may ask another to perform it.
- Kingdom knowledge- Each candidate will be asked to briefly speak extemporaneously upon kingdom knowledge.
- Games- Candidates will play matches of "Give Away" chess (the player who loses all of his or her pieces first wins). Participants need only know how various chess pieces move and capture in order to play.
- Charming the Populace- Challengers shall 'charm' the charms off of members of the populace.
Come join our festivities! Pick up the Challenge or cheer your favorite on to Victory!
Martial Activities: Armored, Rapier
Arts & Sciences Activities: Our Arts and Sciences competition will focus on chivalry and tokens of appreciation. Please see the website for more information.
Adult, Member: $10.00 Day-Trip $10.00 Feast $5.00 Camping
Adult, Non-Member: $15.00 Day-Trip $10.00 Feast $5.00 Camping
Youth (5-17): $5.00 Day-Trip $10.00 Feast $5.00 Camping
Child (0-4): $0.00 Day-Trip $0.00 Feast $0.00 Camping
Make Checks Payable To: SCA, Inc., Barony of Marinus
Site: Pipsico Boyscout Reserve 57 Pipsico Road Spring Grove, VA 23881. Site opens 4pm Friday, closes 12pm Sunday.
Feast Information: Our cook is Magdalena La Sanguigni . She will prepare a breakfast Saturday morning as well as a sumptuous Italian Feast for the evenings festivities. A menu will be published before the event. Any dietary concerns you may have please direct them to Magdalena at benegesserit[AT]Lairhaven.com
Merchanting Information: All Merchants WELCOME! Please contact: Lady Miriam Ester bat Issachar mka Ruth Katz Challah64[AT]verizon.com
Autocrat's Information: Alessandra della Luna E-mail: roseteddiebear[AT]gmail.com
From the South: Make your way to I-95 N. Take exit 31 toward Waverly. Merge onto Sussex Dr/VA-40. Continue to follow VA-40. Continue on Martin Luther King Hwy. Continue on VA-646. Continue on Swanns Point Rd. Turn left at Pipsico Rd. Destination will be on the right.
From the North: Make your to I-95 S. Take exit 84A on the left for I-295 toward Rocky Mount, NC. Keep right at the fork to continue toward I-295 S and merge onto I-295 S. Take exit 15A to merge onto E Hundred Rd/VA-10 toward Hopewell. Continue to follow VA-10. Continue on E Randolph Rd. Continue on James River Dr/VA-10/VA-156. Continue to follow VA-10. Slight left at VA-646. Continue on Swanns Point Rd. Turn left at Pipsico Rd. Destination will be on the right.