Known World Dance & Music Symposium 9 "Anthony & Cleopatra" Thursday, June 21 through Sunday, June 24, 2012
The event will feature open dancing on Thursday night, full tracks of classes on Friday and Saturday, and a shortened track on Sunday. The Friday evening ball will be antiquity themed, based on the story of Antony and Cleopatra. There will be a costume contest, and dancers interested in getting a bit more festive can wear either clothing from antiquity or what people in the later periods *thought* people wore
during antiquity. We will also have a cocktail hour on an outdoor patio prior to this revel.
For a totally different feel, Saturday evening's revel will feature a full-scale court masque titled "The Masque at Coleorton, or, The Farewell to Faeries," complete with a forced prospective set based on Inigo Jones's original designs. The masque will be broken up into pieces over the evening, with the dancers attending the ball becoming an impromptu chorus in the show. There will also be 18 slightly more involved chorus roles (3 separate choruses of fairies, women, and men) in the show, and these roles will be cast earlier during the event, likely on Friday. If you'd like to be a chorus performer (dance, plus nonverbal acting), there will be a class for you to attend on Friday and/or Saturday. (For those who are strictly interested in the regular dancing on Saturday night, I assure you that there will still be the same amount of dancing you would normally expect from a ball. The masque, in its entirety, runs about 20 minutes and will be broken up over the evening. The acting sections will essentially serve as breaks between sets.)
Finally, Sunday afternoon will include a Caroso Ball featuring the amazing tunes of Istanpita. It'll be a great time, even while you aren't dancing!
The Ohio Union
The Ohio State University
1739 N. High St.
Columbus, OH 43210
Multiple tracks of dance and music classes including:
- Beginner Dances
- Two tracks of Renaissance Dancing
- English Country Dancing
- Instrumental Music
- Middle Eastern and Known World Dance
- Middle Eastern and Known World Music
- Academic Seminars
Teachers who have expressed their interest in teaching so far:
- Dr. Laurel Victoria Gray, PhD - Professor, George Mason and George Washington Universities http://www.laurelvictoriagray.com/
- Mistress Alethea bint Fahd ibn Akhtar, Trimaris
- Sayyid Asim al-Talib, Atlantia
- Master Valizan Ibn Fredeh, Ealdormere
- Lady Sorcha Dhonnchaidh mka Chandara Gamal, Middle
- Mistress Alina of Foxwood, Middle
- Master Philip White, Middle
- THL Gwommy an Purpaidh, Middle
- Lady Katherine Mercer, Atlantia
- Lord Darius the Dancer, Ealdormere
- Lord Maurin Lessault, Ealdormere
- THL Felice Debbage, Middle
Class information is due from teachers by March 1, 2012.
Pre-registration is open from March 7 to May 7, 2012.
Preregistered At the Door
ADULT (16 +) full event $60.00 $90.00
ADULT 2 days $45.00 $75.00
ADULT 1 day $30.00 $60.00
CHILD (12-16) full event $30.00 $45.00
CHILD 2 days $20.00 $30.00
CHILD 1 day $12.50 $25.00