Attention linguists! Prepare for your tutorial on the History of the English Language as presented by OpenLearn. The ten one-minute video sessions are narrated by Clive Anderson and illustrated by animated line drawings. Get your pencils - and senses of humor - ready.
- Anglo-Saxon A look at what words the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings bought to the English language. Read more Anglo-Saxon
- The Norman Conquest In 1066, William the Conqueror invaded Britain and bought with him fancy French words to add to the English language.
- Shakespeare This video tells us that Shakespeare invented over 2000 new words and phrases like eyeball, anchovy and puppy.
- The King James Bible Illustrating that in 1611, the new King James Bible was created and gave us many famous phrases.
- The English of Science In the 17th Century, new science words were being created like acid, ovary and tonsil.
- English and Empire Exploring how the British Empire spread across the world bringing back many new words and phrases.
- The Age of the Dictionary A look at how lexicographers started creating the Dictionary of the English Language to ensure that everyone spelt words correctly and knew their correct definition.
- American English Learn about American-English and how some American words were actually English to start with.
- Internet English Exploring the expansion of internet language, with abbreviations like lol and btw.
- Global English The future of English and the many hybrids that have been created. Should we still call it English?