New Discoveries Show Use of Roman Fortress Walls

British Archaeology: Archaelogists working on the site of the medieval St. Leonard's Hospital have discovered that Roman fortress walls may have been in use until after the Norman conquest. British Archaeology News reports that Roman structures previously believed to have been abandoned shortly after the Romans left England were actually in use until 200 years after the Norman Conquest. Parts of the "interval towers" of a Roman fortress in York, England are being examined by members of the York Archaeological Trust, and have been found to have been occupied until around 1250 CE. The Trust is excavating the site of St. Leonard's Hospital, the largest hospital of the medieval era, which was built in the area of the Roman fortress.

The excavation of the hospital has given the archaeological team much insight into what life was like in the hospital which could house 240 inmates and employed 18 clergyman and 30 choristers. A number of valuable finds have surfaced including buttons, Roman coins, painted window glass, toys and a bone lucet.