The Heritage Lottery Fund has agreed to provide UK£4.7m for conservation work to the building and grounds at Cardigan Castle. The 12th century castle was once home to Welsh princes.
A wooden structure was first built on the site by the Normans but was conquered and destroyed by Lord Rhys ap Gruffydd in 1165. He then built his own stone castle in 1176 and dedicated the building with performances by bards and musicians, now considered to be the first Welsh eisteddfod.
The castle currently draws around 3,000 visitors annually. Offcials hope to increase attendance tenfold.