The Barony of Black Diamond invites one and all to join us in celebrating our most favored saint, St. Pyr, a Welsh abbot of the 6th century known for his lax rule and love of imbibing.
The latter may have been the cause of his unorthodox martyrdom, which came as the result of falling into a well! We shall celebrate his life and amusements in a place far, far away from any wells.
Join us for a day of classes, competitions, eating, drinking, dancing, and bardic. (Bring proof of age to participate in any classes that involve alcohol; only those 21 or older will be allowed to partake.) There will be classes on many other topics, with something to suit every interest. Stay for Saturday night's roaring bonfire and bardic, which will feature renditions of your favorite drinking songs!
Milton Field, part of Caldwell Fields
Craig Creek Road
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Site notes: The site has no potable water (remember, we are staying away from wells), so bring something non-alcoholic to drink during the day. Modern laws concerning alcohol apply. Fireworks and amplified music are not allowed. Fires must be contained within the designated fire ring.
Arts & Sciences Activities
The A&S Coordinator is Mistress Gwerfyl verch Aneirin (Nancy Hulan). She can be contacted at email@example.com
To request a class, or volunteer to teach, please contact the A&S Coordinator. For all other questions, camping space, or to volunteer your pavilion to use as a classroom, please contact the Autocrat.
Adult Member $6
Adult Non-member $11
Child 0-16 Free
Our small event will feature a potluck feast. Please bring a dish to serve 8-10 people. In the interest of avoiding duplicates, please let the autocrat know what kind of dish you are bringing (e.g. meat, meatless main dish, vegetable/casserole, pasta, fruit, dessert, etc.)
Event Steward Information
The event steward is Lady Wenllyan Goch. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about reservations, contact the autocrat. Checks should be made out to Barony of Black Diamond, SCA Inc.
* From the North:
* Take I-81 to exit 141 toward Salem. Turn left on Electric Rd. (Rt. 419). Go 0.4 miles and turn right on Catawba Valley Drive (Rt. 311). Go 12 miles on Rt. 311 N. Turn left on Craig Creek Road (Rt. 621). Go 11.9 miles to the fields on your left. Park in the designated parking area.
* From the South:
* Take I-81 to exit 118-B (U.S. 460) toward Blacksburg and Virginia Tech. Continue on US 460 W for about 15 miles. Turn right on Craig Creek Road (Rt. 621). (Craig Creek Road will be the next right after the Jefferson National Forest sign.) Go 8.8 miles to the fields on your right. Park in the designated parking area. Signs will be posted.
* From Blacksburg:
* Go north on Main St. (US 460 Business) to its intersection with US 460 Bypass. Turn right onto US 460 W. Go 2.7 miles and turn right on Craig Creek Road (Rt. 621). (Craig Creek Road will be the next right after the Jefferson National Forest sign.) Go 8.8 miles to the fields on your right. Park in the designated parking area. Signs will be posted.
St. Pyr Schedule
* April 29th
* 6:00 - Site opens for camping & classroom pavilion setup
* 8:00 - Pavilion setup ends
* April 30th
* 9:00 - Gate opens
* 10:00 - Classes begin
* 1:30 - Gate closes
* 3:30 - Classes end, A&S judging & dancing begins
* 4:35 - Baronial Court followed by potluck feast
* 7:00 - Brewers Round Table
* 8:10 - (sunset) Bonfire & bardic begins
* May 1st
* 11:00 - Site Closes