The Shire of Drygestan humbly invites Outlanders from near and far to the SCA Village at the Santa Fe Renaissance Fair.
This Renaissance Fair is a bit different from other Renaissance Fairs across the country, because it has a Spanish Renaissance theme (instead of Queen Elizabeth, we have Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand). Also, unlike other Renaissance Fairs (which are for-profit ventures), this Renaissance Fair is a fundraising event for two local non-profits (Open Hands and El Rancho de las Golondrinas), to ensure that there are funds available for their
non-profit work of helping the elderly, disabled, and economically disadvantaged in northern New Mexico and of educating the general public about the the Spanish colonial history and life in New Mexico. This Renaissance Fair is held in conjunction with the Santa Fe Fiestas (which conclude the weekend prior) and is an official event of the 400th
anniversary of the founding of Santa Fe (1610 AD).
* If you are planning on coming to the Fair during Fair-hours, there is no admission charge at the Golondrinas gate *if* you have a valid blue card (please show it to the gate-keepers). If you do not have a valid blue card and come to the Fair during Fair-hours, the daily admission fee to the Fair at the gate will be applied.
* The SCA Village will be available for set-up beginning at noon on Friday (9/17). Tear-down needs to be completed by noon on Monday (9/20). All set-up and tear-down needs to be done when the Fair is not open to the public.
* Mundane tents are allowed, but need to be in the second row of tentage (behind the first row of canvas tents).
* SCA merchants are encouraged to sell their wares in the SCA Village; provide your own shade. The Fair asks that if you are selling wares, you have the ability to demonstrate your arts or science (maybe have a shoe in the process, so folks can see how they are put together, or that visitors have the opportunity to make a tassel).
* Fighters, bring your blue and green cards to present to the list-mistress for entrance into the tourneys.
* If you are partaking in Drygestan's culinary hospitality (coordinated by THLady Theresa) at the Saturday evening meal, bring your feast gear.
* We are sharing this site with the general public, so keep an eye on your valuables while in the SCA Village during the Fair hours.
* This year, we did not procure equestrian insurance, so do not bring your horses.
* El Rancho de las Golondrinas is a working farm; do not bring your pets from home.
* If you are able to help with heralding during tournaments (explaining what happens on the field to the general public) or marshaling a tournament, seek out our combat coordinators, Sir Thomas and Don Otteaux to help.
* This year, in the SCA Village, we will have armored and rapier combat tourneys, archery shoots, a costume display, arts and sciences demonstrations, a Medieval Kitchen (which will provide us our meal for Saturday night), and other activities.
The directional website, www.mapquest.com, has very good directions to El Rancho de las Golondrinas. Use 334 Los Pinos Road, Santa Fe, NM as your destination.
Directions into El Rancho de las Golondrinas to the SCA Village:
On Los Pinos Road, turn left (if you're coming from Santa Fe) or right (if you're coming from Albuquerque) into the red gate* of Golondrinas. The gate code will be 1931. Drive through this gate and through the parking lot. Continue through the graveled area to the winding road heading down to the field. You will pass an adobe house on the left and a stage on the right. You will see the field to the right as you drive down the winding road. We will be set up in the field and parking will be to the back of the field.
* From Santa Fe, you will pass the visitors' parking lot and the main gate to Golondrinas before you see the red gate. From Albuquerque, the red gate is prior to the main Golondrinas gate.
Basic Site/Event Info:
Site Opens: 12N on September 17, 2010
Site Closes: 12N on September 20, 2010
Location: El Rancho de las Golondrinas, 334 Los Pinos Road, Santa Fe, NM
Site Fees: *$0.00 (with valid blue card, regardless of age)***
$8.00 (non-member adults payable at Golondrinas' main gate)
$5.00 (non-member seniors [62+ years] and youth aged 12-17 years payable at Golondrinas' main gate)
$3.00 (non-member youth aged 3-11 years payable at Golondrinas' main gate)
$0.00 (non-member youth less than 3 years of age)
Site Status: Discreetly wet. Please leave your pets at home (this is a Golondrinas rule)
The Shire welcomes Outlanders near and far and thanks the populace for their help in past years. If you have any questions about the Renaissance Fair, the SCA's involvement in it (both in the planning and the participation), or the two non-profits that will be benefiting from the Fair, please seek out THLady Maimuna (e-mail: thlmaimuna @ gmail.com [please remove the spaces]). Without support from the Outlands (and, especially al-Barran), this event would not be a success. The Shire thanks all those groups who have helped in the past and we look forward to ongoing collaborations.
Please forward to any interested lists/parties.