The Dark Ages Recreation Company (DARC) is inviting those interested in history to come visit us as we illustrate daily life during the Viking Age.
Place : The Wareham Forge
Date: Saturday June 12
Time: 10 am to 4 pm
DARC focuses on providing high quality living history presentations, primarily for museums and educational programs. The group was founded in the early 1990's and has worked in conjunction with exhibits such as Vikings - North Atlantic Saga, Full Circle - First Contact, and The World of the Norse. Most of the participating members have decades of experience with public demonstrations, personal research and as artisans. Members of DARC have been instrumental in the development of the living history programing at L'Anse aux Meadows NHSC, the only authenticated Viking Age site in North America, and the very first UNESCO World Heritage Site. DARC was specifically requested by Parks Canada to help them mark the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the site by Helge Ingstad.
This 'limited public' one day event is part of our preparations for our full scale presentation for Parks Canada at L'Anse aux Meadows in August (from the 16th to the 25th).
There will be a tight focus on the historical prototypes from Iceland and Greenland, working to represent 'Leif's Houses' in Vinland, circa 1000 AD. Over the course of the day, a wide range of domestic and crafts skills will be demonstrated, including:
- Food preparation
- Textiles - dyeing, spinning & weaving
- Carving - in wood, soapstone, bone & antler
- Woodworking - both 'green' and using a spring pole lathe
- Games & Music
A truly unique feature of this presentation will be the operation of a Norse type iron smelting furnace, a process which will be ongoing over the day. This is an accurate duplication of the sequence thought to be undertaken by the Norse at Vinland, as represented by the archaeology of
L'Anse aux Meadows. DARC has conducted more experimental iron smelts based on Viking Age methods than any other team in North America.
* The Civic Address is : 307377 Centre Line A, Grey Highlands, Ontario Canada - N0C 1L0
- SCA visitors are asked to remain in modern street clothes.
- Parking is only along the road sides (using Sideroad 40, north of the Wareham corner is recommended)
- This is a daylight hours event only. Sorry, camping space available is limited to participating members of DARC only.
For More Information, turn to our extensive web sites.
Interpretive Program Designer