The Shire of Mynydd Gwyn is pleased to host one of the premier events in Insulae Draconis: come to fight, fence, shoot and dance to your heart's delight, on the grounds of a 15th century Welsh Borders castle.
Thursday 5th to Monday 9th August AS 45 (CE 2010).
Site opens 1400 h on Thursday and closes 1400 h on Monday.
Raglan Castle (no street address)
Off the A40, 7 miles SW of Monmouth, Gwent, SE Wales.
Full weekend Day trip (single day only)
Up to and including 23 July After 23 July
Adult £20 £25 £10
Child 6–12 years £5 £2.50
Child under 6 years free
Early registration discount: register on or before 23 July to benefit from the earlybird discount! After 23 July the adult price increases to £25 (no change to single day or child rates).
Event numbers are limited by CADW to 120 attendees, to preserve this heritage site. Book early to avoid disappointment.
Payment in advance by UK residents please; cheques should be made payable to "SCA Shire of Mynydd Gwyn".
Non-UK guests, please send travel details (i.e. flight or ferry dates) ASAP to confirm your booking.
Event registration is now open: REGISTER NOW!
IMPORTANT! Allocation of places
Due to the popularity of this event and the limit of 120 places there is a chance that we may become fully booked, as has happened in previous years. Therefore, bookings will be taken as follows:
* Places will initially be allocated on a first come, first served basis. If we reach the maximum 120 people additional registrants will be added to the active waiting list.
* On 1 July any places that have not been guaranteed will be offered to the active waiting list and allocated on a first paid, first served basis. To guarantee your place, please pay in advance (UK residents only) or forward a copy of your travel booking (non-UK residents).
If you have not guaranteed your booking by 1 July your place will be offered to those on the waiting list and you may lose it.
Food is self-catering. To cook food on site, all fires must be raised off the ground with trays underneath to catch embers. Do not disturb or remove the turf (CADW rules).
There is a cafe 5–10 minutes walk from the castle that serves all day breakfast, etc. Raglan village is a brisk 15-minute walk from the castle, with shops, pubs and other food outlets. There are a number of hotels and B&Bs in Raglan village.
The site is discreetly wet. Please keep modern beverage containers out of sight in and around the castle.
Raglan recycles! Please separate your cans and bottles from your rubbish, for the recycling run, and drop them off as you leave.
We have space for about 20 canvas tents – fewer than last year, to accommodate renovation works. Priority will go to those staying for the whole event. Those not staying for the whole event will be allocated space in the modern tent encampment.
Please indicate in your booking:
* the style of your tent (modern or medieval)
* the FULL dimensions of your tent, including any awnings/extensions
* both dimensions with and without guy-ropes (we may have to cross ropes in some areas)
If your tent has the door in a specific location, please say so in your booking!
No tent pegs are to penetrate the ground deeper than 75 mm (CADW rules).
In deference to the neighbours, no setting up of tents will be permitted after 2300 h. Please bear this in mind when planning your travel arrangements.
Sadly, no pets allowed.
The site is non-smoking.
For those without tents or who are not staying for the whole event we can offer limited crash space this year. Please contact the reservations steward as soon as possible if you will need crash space.
Duarte Goncalves de Monaes
Sarah of Mynydd Gwyn
Armoured Combat Marshal-in-Charge
Robert of Canterbury
Arts and Sciences Co-ordinator
Maredudd ap Gwylim
Grand Ball Co-ordinator
As Raglan grows, it needs more people to keep it running smoothly!
When you register, please indicate where you would like to help. Assistance is particularly welcome for:
* willing drivers to make pickup and dropoff runs to Newport for coach and train travellers
* marshals and constables for scenarios for armoured combat, rapier and archery
* setting up and taking down tournament settings (i.e. torchlight tournament, passage at arms)
* unofficial waterbearing
* site heralding
* taking recycling to the local recycling centre
* assisting the reservations clerk at gate on Friday and Saturday
* co-ordinating the dancing and music at the ball on Saturday evening. We particularly need willing musicians!