12 Years of Glory Wars—Then there was Valhalla August 12-15, 2010
Meadows Group Campground; Bailey, Colorado
Hosted by the Barony of Unser Hafen
Reservations required for campers. Maximum capacity of 100 campers.
Reservations close when capacity is met.
Camping— Limited to 100. Reservations closes July 21 or when capacity is met!!
Adults: $26; non-member surcharge of $5.
Youth: $13 for youth 7-14;
Ages 6 & Under Free; Family cap of $78.
Paid reservations required for all campers.
Day Fee—$15 adults/$7 youth (Pay on site. Reservations not required.)
The following meals provided for Campers—included in site fee:
Saturday evening Feast—Cooked on site.
Light breakfast fare Friday & Saturday mornings.
Meals coordinated by Lord Garin de Gent with Mistress Meriel of Tay
Friday Night is “Stone Soup Potluck”
Bring a dish to share (or items for the soup)
SCHEDULE & ACTIVITIES
Site opens at 2 PM on Thursday, August 12. Site Closes at Noon on Sunday, August 15.
No preset schedule—We wake, sleep and play at our own community whim.
Posting board at central camp for promoting activities you want to share with fellow campers.
Examples may include blacksmithing, flint knapping, woodworking, weaving, archery, armed combat, and spontaneous rapier bouts.
There may also be an herbal walk to look for herbs to flavor our evening’s meal.
Bardic fires nightly—Glory reminiscing welcome.
Hands on help with bread baking, butter churning, fire wood chopping and cooking all welcome,
learn period cooking skills while preparing communal fare.
Located off of Hwy 285, on fairly well maintained dirt/gravel roads, suitable for vehicles and trailers.
The elevation is at 7,400 ft, with generally mild temperatures in August.
Always a chance of mountain thunderstorms, especially in the afternoons.
Large “Heavenly” meadows for period camping pavilions—lots of space.
Shade and shelter generously provided by pines.
Secluded camping areas for those wanting more privacy.
Two permanent “pit” toilets on site (woohoo!).
On site potable water (cooking, showers, washing).
Bringing your own drinking water still advisable.
Permanent tables available at central communal space.
There are three permanent fire pits. Above ground fire places may also be allowed. We must follow all National Forest or campground related fire restrictions. Information about current fire restrictions will be posted at central camp. Bring firewood.
Period camping and efforts at making camp “feel” more period encouraged—Watch for the
“Best Period Camp” people’s choice awards.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT BEARS: Bears are active in this area and all food, including ice chests, must be moved inside of on enclosed trailers provided for night time.
Do not leave food inside of your tent.
Pets Allowed—but must be listed on reservation form, and MUST be kept on a leash
or confined at all times. Please do not jeopardize our site by ignoring these rules.
LOCATION AND DIRECTIONS
· The site is located at Meadows Group Campground in Pike National Forest, about 10 miles southeast of Bailey, Colorado off of HWY 285.
· From North of Denver, you will take C-470 South to the HWY 285/ From South of Denver you will take C-470 North to HWY 285.
· Travel West on HWY 285 past Conifer. Just as you drop down a hill into Bailey, CO, turn left (South) onto County Rd. 68
· Go 4.6 miles—at the next junction take the right fork toward Lost Acres/Lake Wellington
· Go another 1.6 miles, at junction take the left fork toward Buffalo Creek/Lake Wellington
· Go another 1.9 miles, at junction continue straight forward.
· Go another 2 miles, at junction take the left fork—Forest Road 550.
· Go less than .5 miles and make a right at the Meadows Group C.G. sign.
· Continue forward Site 1 and go into Site 2. We are at Site 2 (the road ends at Valhalla)
· If you et to Buffalo Creek Campground, you’ve gone too far. Turn around and go back looking for the Meadows Group Campground turnoff. We will have signs marking the turnoff.