I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.
I have heard that the GeoCities free websites are going away. If you have such a site with SCA-type files and don't wish to move to the pay version, the files that you have worked so hard to produce, may make a good addition to the Florilegium. I am in the process of moving several articles on tablet weaving by Eve the Just from GeoCities to the Florilegium and would be happy to consider more.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
- SC-Estrela-09-msg - The Siege Cooking Contest at the Estrella War in 2009.
In the COMMERCE section:
- Chndler-Guild-art - "A Brief History of the Worshipful Company of Waxchandlers, London from the 13th to 17th Centuries" by Lady Kate the Candelmaker.
In the DISABILITIES section:
- Sign-Lang-Wed-art - "Wedding Vows Performed in 'Sign Language', and Signs in Other Ceremonies" by Lady Ásfríðr Ulfvíðardóttir.
In the EQUESTRIAN section:
- Hors-Gme-Eqmt-art - "Equipment for Equestrian Games" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
- cppr-utn-care-msg - Care and cleaning of copper utensils.
- potry-utn-care-msg - Care of pottery cooking utensils.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
- Fire-Starting-art - "Period fire starting and Archimedes Death Ray" by Viscount Sir Corin Anderson.
In the NEWCOMERS section:
- SCA-Housholds-art - "Introduction to SCA Households" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin.
In the PENNSIC section:
- P-Sanitation-art - "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat Idiot" by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji).
In the SCA-INC section:
- SCA-oaths-msg - Swearing oaths in the SCA. Peerage and Officer oaths.
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
- Int-Dyeing-FC-art - "Introduction to Dyeing: Food Coloring" by Mistress Alienor Fitzhenry, OL.
Here are the updated files for this month:
- dairy-prod-msg - Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
- berries-msg - Period berries and berry recipes.
- glasswork-msg - Stained glass, glass etching. glassblowing.
- high-alt-ckng-msg - Cooking medieval food and feasts at high altitudes.
- mustard-msg - Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
- soup-msg - Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events. recipes.
- West-hist-msg - Histories of the West Kingdom.
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****