Baronial Flashback at Castleton, where we will hearken back to the foundation of our barony and our kingdom.
In Anno Societatus XIII, in the Kingdom of Atenveldt, in the Principality of Ansteorra, in the Shire of Bryn Gwlad, a Crown Tournament was held wherein the Royal line of Ansteorra was established. At this great Tourney Celebration, another momentous event came to pass. The Shire of Bryn Gwlad was elevated to the status of Barony with Vargskol Halfblood and Seanna de Fraser invested as Baron and Baroness Bryn Gwlad. This year, on the weekend of the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of October at Bryn Gwlad’s Fall Baronial, we invite you to celebrate the 30th anniversary of this great moment with a high period, high persona event, recreating the practices of the SCA in AS XIII, as we now understand them. Among the many activities at this event will be:
- Chivalric and Swashbuckling Champions Tourneys:
All entrants into these tourneys will have to face a challenge by a champion. Champions are those who were in the SCA in or prior to AS XIII, and they may offer what challenges they please. Tournaments will be round robin pool tourneys. Swashbuckling will be restricted to those weapons originally authorized in that year, to wit: Foils and Epees. There may be other weapons specifically authorized for particular rounds.(possibly rattan daggers)
- A target archery champions tourney:
Seek the legendary Gold of Charlemagne in a Quest by Master Thomas of Tenby.
- Share tales of yore at a Bardic Circle (minors present after 10:00pm are the responsibility of their parents and not of the host, the autocrat, the barony or the Ministry of Children).
- Display your ‘period’ clothing, armor and other sundries in the Friday Night Fashion Show, to be held in the curtain theater. Help us to demonstrate, that the heart of a warrior, the honor of a noble, the skill of an artisan and the spirit of a bard will shine in any clothing and any era.
- Celebrate those honored with Ansteorran Principality Awards at a Principality Awards Tea with Master Daniel de Lincoln.
- Enjoy the magical feast of Barbeque served from the bed of a Dragon by Mistress Gwyneth Blackrose.
- Peruse the famed Museum of Bryn Gwlad, presented by Honorable Lady Alina Mitchell.
- Recognition of Courtly Behavior
Demonstrate your most honorable courtly behavior, for secret servants of the crown will be observing and may call your actions to royal attention.
- Learn valuable skills. The Bryn Gwlad herbalist’s guild will be conducting a demonstration of mustard making to all who would learn. Master Peter of the Isle and Sir Gaston de Clermont will also be conducting an armoring demonstration, with particular attention to armor repairs (That’s right, “my armor is broken” is not an excuse to miss this event; quite the contrary.)
- Salute two new peers. Centurion Lochlan Dunn will be offered the accolade of knighthood during the morning court, after a vigil Friday night. And Honorable Lady Amata di Arrezzo will be welcomed to the Order of the Laurel during evening court after sitting a vigil on Friday night and welcoming all who wish to speak to her during the day on Saturday.
Please join us at Castleton (Austin, TX) recreating the youth of our Kingdom as it should have been.