Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.
I have just heard that the GeoCities free websites are going away. If you have such a site with SCA-type files and don't wish to move to the pay version, the files that you have worked so hard to produce, may make a good addition to the Florilegium. I am in the process of moving several articles on tablet weaving by Eve the Just from GeoCities to the Florilegium and would be happy to consider more.
Mundanely, I am an Electronics Engineer with a specialty in designing and delivering board and systems level projects. Unfortunately, I'm still in the middle of what has been a long search for my next opportunity. If you are on LinkedIn and believe that I have shown any skills in creating and running the Florilegium that a perspective employer might find appealing, I would appreciate you submitting a recommendation for me there. My LinkedIn profile can be found at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris/
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find out when new and updated files as well as new features get added to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and also available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents of your favorite websites have been changed.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.
THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
- Warm-Beere-art - "An aside— on Beer and English Customs" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
In the CLOTHING section:
- QD-Trunk-hose-art - "Quick and Dirty Trunk Hose" by Don Tivar Moodragon.
In the EQUESTRIAN section:
- Horse-Games-art - "Equestrian Games" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
In the FEASTS section:
- Food-Safety-art - "Food Safety in the SCA" by Lady Avelyn Grene.
In the FOOD section:
- DYKIP-Pies-art - "Did You Know its Period? Part 5: Simple Simon's Pies" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- Custard-Tarts-art - "The Great Custard Tart Caper" by Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin, OP.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
- eating-plates-msg - Period eating plates. Roundels.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
- leather-boxes-bib - A bibliography on leather boxes and leather- covered boxes by Master Magnus Malleus, OL.
In the SCA-INC section:
- Award-Trivia-art - "Award Trivia" by Pursuivant Domhnall na Moicheirghe.
In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
- Bg-Tab-Weavng-art - "Beginning Tablet Weaving" by Eve the Just.
Here are the updated files for this month:
- cucumbers-msg - Medieval and period cucumbers. Recipes.
- finger-foods-msg - Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.
- ginger-msg - Period use of the spice ginger.
- p-marinating-msg - Period marinating of meats.
- picnic-feasts-msg - Ideas for light, picnic style feasts.
- relics-msg - Use of religious relics in period.
- SCA-in-books-msg - Mentions of the SCA in books and magazines.
- siege-cooking-msg - A cooking contest where teams are given min. time, ingredients to create a meal.
- torches-msg - Medieval torches.
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris