His Excellency writes:
Greetings unto the Known World,
The revision of the Known World Handbook continues, and while we have already received some really excellent articles there are still plenty of topics that we need covered (see needed topics list below). Please remember that we are not looking for historical research articles but general how-to articles so that a new player can gain the knowledge that they need to get started in the SCA.
The deadline for this second call for articles is September 1, 2009. Please try to keep the articles between 800 and 3000 words (one to four 8.5x11 pages). Please submit them via Microsoft Word files, or in the body of an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Authors of existing articles in the KWH are invited to refresh, renew, and update their prior KWH articles. If you send in any articles, artwork, or photographs, please fill out the KWH release form available online and email it back to us at email@example.com.
Wes Hanna (Baron Kainin),
KWH Deputy to the President, SCA, Inc.
We are still looking for articles on topics including but not limited to:
- SCA basics
- brief history of the SCA
- customs of the SCA
- establishing a persona
- basic starter garb (patterns and how-to articles)
- preparing for attending events (what to bring and what to know)
- preparing for camping at events (what to pack and what to know)
- attending court (what to do if called, what is happening)
- kids and their activities in the SCA
- rank and awards in the SCA (what they mean, how to spot royalty, etc.)
- detailed and specific articles covering the myriad of arts & sciences
- arts martial including rattan, rapier, archery
- preparing to fight in the SCA; basic combat rules
- creating a starter fighting/amour kit (patterns and how-to articles)
- basic armoring
- your first tournament (what to bring, what to watch)
- fighting etiquette
- chivalry and the concepts of honor
- basic fighting styles
- basic drills
- what service means in the SCA and ways to give back
- brief kingdom histories
- specific kingdom customs
KWH Mission Statement
The KWH is targeted to new comers to the SCA with less than 2 years experience. The KWH will be universal with concepts that span all Kingdoms. The KWH will contain topics and information that will last at least 10 years. The KWH needs to support existing SCA documents and handbooks, not try to replace them.
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
Milpitas, CA 95036
You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.