Greetings to Gentlefolk of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my monthly Florilegium article for May, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find out when new and updated files as well as new features get added to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple Syndication, is a method built into many web browsers as being available as a separate tool, which lets you find out when the contents of your favorite websites has been updated or changed. You can find out more about RSS at this link as well as elsewhere: http:// rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html If you find this feature useful, please let me know. I have no way of knowing if you are finding it useful or not through the system itself.
Like much of the economy, web advertising revenue is down. Last month I requested folks to click on an ad if it seemed interesting. This did cause a momentary spike in my ad income, which was a big help in meeting last month's expenses. However, after that couple of days the ad clicks went way down. If folks can get into the habit of clicking on an ad when they visit the site it would really help. Even if you don't buy anything, each click brings ratings up and increases the amount of money advertisers are willing to pay for each ad displayed. I'm trying to keep the amount of advertising as small as I can and as useful as I can.
And if anyone has any contacts in the high-tech industry in Austin, Texas and would like to join my find-Stefan-a-job club, send me email. :-)
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find out when new and updated files as well as new features get added to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and also available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents of your favorite websites have been changed.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
- pattens-chpns-msg - Medieval pattens and chopines
In the CRAFTS section:
- Cast-Wood-Mlds-art - "Pewter-Casting in Wood" by by Lady Shara of Starwood, OVO, CMC, AoA
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- Stool-ball-art - "Stool ball: an early bat and ball game" by Lady Wenyeva atte grene.
In the FEASTS section:
- feast-spices-msg - Purchasing and storing spices for feasts.
- Perf-P-Feast-msg - Perfectly Period Feast cooked by Mistress Crystal of the Westermark. A medieval feast, with atmosphere, 'done right'.
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
- Scully-Opera-rev - "Lost in Translation – a critical review of the Scully translation of Scappi's 'Opera'" by Mistress Helewyse de Birkestad.
In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
- flavord-butrs-msg - Period and SCA, flavored butters.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
- LeMen-Sausags-art - "Le Menagier's Sausages" by Master G. Tacitus Adamantius, OL.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
- AS-Prase-Poem-art - "An Anglo-Saxon Praise Poem" by Mistress Siobhán ní hEodhusa.
In the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING section:
- feedg-fightrs-msg - Feeding SCA fighters on the field.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
- SCA-Barbie-art - "Talking SCA Barbie" by unknown author(s).
Hee are the updated files for this month.
- butter-msg - Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
- furniture-msg - Making chests and tables for the SCA. Period furniture.
- gingerbread-msg - Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
- hotel-events-msg - Holding SCA events in hotels. Suggestions.
- mortar-pestle-msg - Mortar and pestles. Sources.
- pot-lck-ideas-msg - Menu ideas for pot luck feasts and revels.
- shoemaking-msg - Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.
- St-Hildegard-msg - Hildegard von Bingen. writer. References.
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris