The alcohol policy is still being worked out, but at the moment it's looking discreetly damp (keep it in your mug or keep it in your tent).
Some Highlights (With More On Acitivities, Feast, And Site Rules & Realities Pages):
- Armored and rapier combat, archery, thrown weapons, A&S classes and competitions, youth activities. Bardic circles on Friday and Saturday nights. Camping sites on a beautiful lakeshore with a free public beach (no electric or RV hookups available). Site is handicap-accessible. No pets except service animals, please.
- There's a Best Western and lots of restaurants (including a 24-hour place called the Marina Grill) within walking distance. And there'll be an art fair a couple of blocks away, and a farmers' market just down the street on Saturday. And lots of cool shops just off-site. And one of the nicest beaches I've seen on this side of Lake Michigan. And no danger of flooding due to rain!
- And plenty of parking!
- PUBLIC DEMO ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON.
- NO FEAST IS PLANNED but communal grills will be available for a potluck on Saturday evening.
- Royals on both sides are actively backing the event! HRH MidRealm expects to send 70 to 100 fighters -- no kidding!
- The city is eager to work with us and make the event grow.
- Oh yeah — make sure you give Annetje a HUGE round of applause for finding this site and helping us work out the details with the city!
Site opens: noon, June 12, 2009
Site closes: 2:00pm, June 14, 2009
Simmons Island Park
5500 Simmons Island Park Drive
New Directions -- Map and GPS Users Be Warned! :
The exit originally given (State Rt 158/52nd St.) is currently closed due to construction. Here are new directions from north or south.
From the north:
Take your best route to Interstate 94, Exit #340 (State Rt 142). Follow WI-142 East, approximately 7 miles into Kenosha. Turn Right on Sheridan Road (State Rt. 32); go 1/2 mile. Turn Left on 50th St.
Bear to the Right on Simmons Island Park Drive to enter the site. From the south:
Take your best route to Interstate 94, Exit #344 (State Rt 50/75th St). Follow 75th St. East, approximately 3.3 miles toward Kenosha. Turn Left on Green Bay Road (State Rt. 31); go 1-1/2 miles. Turn Right on 52nd St. (State Rt 158). Follow 52nd St. East, approximately 3 miles into Kenosha. Turn Left on Sheridan Road (State Rt. 32); go one long block. Turn Right on 50th St. Bear to the Right on Simmons Island Park Drive to enter the site.
The site is about 6 blocks from the Metra station, making it easy to reach from Chicago.