Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my first Florilegium artilce for 2009.
If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this monthly article before I post it to the Internet so you can print it in your newsletter, please contact me.
If you have written any A&S documentation, especially any papers, please consider sending them to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. This is a wonderful way to let others learn from the effort you have been putting in as well as letting folks know what you are doing. I especially encourage Laurels to get their apprentices to send in papers. Since I will take updates to any articles the papers can always be improved later as more is learned.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
The Florilegium is on the web.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
- Basic-Beer-art - "The Basics of Beer Making" by THL George Anne.
In the ANIMALS section:
- Sadle-Blankts-art - "Treasures Under the Saddle (16th Century Persian Saddle Blanket)" by The Honorable Lady Maria de Andalusia.
In the ARCHERY section:
- P-Arch-Target-art - "A Period Archery Target for the SCA" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf OL, OP.
In the CRAFTS section:
- Workng-Tallow-art - "Working With Tallow" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
In the CULTURES section:
- Poland-bib - Some books on medieval Poland from Magnus.
- Medvl-Poland-art - "Introduction to Medieval Poland" by Metressa Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
In the FEASTS section:
- kitchen-tips-msg - Practical, short kitchen tips for SCA feasts.
In the FOOD section:
- mincemeat-pie-msg - Period mincemeat pies. Recipes.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
- Calontr-Jerky-art - "Sex Red Wine Jerky - the Calontir Army Standard" by Bns. Jenna of Southwind.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- wine-jelly-msg - Period and modern jellies made with wine.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
- Rushlights-art - "Working With Rushlights" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
- On-Vocal-Perf-art - "On Vocal Performance" by Mathurin Kerbuss.
- Story-Toolbox-art - "Storyteller?s Tool Box - Bringing characters to life!" by THL Thomas Whitehart.
In the SCA-CAMPING section:
- DFofH-Firepit-art - A firepit that sets up large and packs down small by Duke Frederick of Holland.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
- SCA-cheers-msg - Kingdom cheers. Vivat vs. Huzzah.
Here are the updated files for this month.
- butter-msg - Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
- bread-stuffed-msg - Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.
- meat-pies-msg - Period meat pies. Recipes.
- Middle-East-msg - Info. on the period Middle East.
- Moghul-India-msg - The culture and food of Moghul India.
- organ-meats-msg - Period cooking of organ meats.
- pies-msg - Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.
- pulled-sugar-msg - The case for and against pulled/spun sugar being period.
- seaweed-msg - Use of seaweed as food and for other uses.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris