A Merry Yule to all those reading this across the Known World!
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December describing what is new in the Florilegium for this month.
Since we have a lot of new and updated files this month, I didn't try to remind you of all the various Yule oriented files in the Florilegium. But if you would like to find out more about what the Yule season was like in the Middle Ages, or need beverage or food recipes for various revels and parties, both within and outside of the SCA, check the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS, BEVERAGES and the various FOOD sections in the Florilegium.
If you have ever written a class handout or A&S documentation, please think about sending it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilgium. This is a great way to give back to the Society that we all enjoy and I'll accept updates at any time. This means you don't have to wait until you know everything about a subject since you can update an article as you learn more. Even if something is incomplete readers can still learn from it and perhaps having something in the Florilegium will get you questions and comments which will help you learn more about your subject.
Best Wishes for a Merry Yule and a Happy New Year,
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
The Florilegium is on the web at: http://www.florilegium.org
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
- Basic-Beer-art - "The Basics of Beer Making" by THL George Anne.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
- Doc-n-Obitury-art - "Documentation is not an Obituary" by Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon.
In the CHILDREN section:
- child-tags-msg - Identity tags for children at SCA events.
In the COMBAT section:
- Fustibalus-art - "How To Throw Rocks Really Far: A Fustibalus " by Jehanne de Wodeford
In the CRAFTS section:
In the FEASTS section:
- Anst-12Nt-Fst-art - Ansteorra 12th Night Feast in 2007 done by Count Gunthar.
- fd-kitch-staf-msg - Feeding your kitchen staff.
In the FOOD section:
- fd-sumpt-laws-msg - Medieval food sumptuary laws.
In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
- elderberries-msg - Medieval use of elderberries. Processing them and recipes.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
- Oil-Lamps-art - "Oil Lamps & Working with Natural Oils" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
- Rondeau-art - "Rondeau: 'round we go" by Lady Ingeborg bildrbri?tr Ulfsdottir.
- riddles-msg - Medieval riddles.
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
- Quilt-bib - "Quilt bibliography" by THL George Anne.
Here are the updated files for this month.
- Artem-hist-msg - Histories of the Kingdom of Artemisia.
- bev-distilled-msg - Medieval distilled beverages. Distilling.
- disabilities-msg - Disabilities in the SCA and period, hiding wheelchairs, SCA sign language.
- feasts-fish-msg - Serving fish at SCA feasts.
- fish-pies-msg - Period fish pies. Recipes.
- fried-breads-msg - Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.
- fruit-pies-msg - Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.
- gate-guards-msg - Handling gate-guard for events.
- headcooks-msg - Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
- pancakes-msg - Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
- pig-heads-msg - Cooking, displaying or otherwise working with pig's heads. Real and artificial.
- redacting-msg - Changing period recipes into modern format.
- tent-ps-msg - Pavilion poles, stakes and ropes.
- venison-msg - Medieval and modern recipes for venison.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris