Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
If you run an SCA-oriented website and would like to get a copy of this monthly article with the links for each file included, for placement on your website, please email me to get put on my list.
If you have entered an A&S competition or display, please remember that A&S papers, even documentation that can stand alone without any other objects can make a good Florilegium submission. Even the judges at a competition often don't have the time to read all the papers. Getting them into the Florilegium is one way to give back to our Society by sharing what enthuses you with the rest of the Known World. My standard policy is that the copyright remains with the author, I will accept updates at any time and I have no problems with the same article being on the web in multiple places.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
- Bev-f-Hot-Day-art - "Medieval Beverages for a Hot Day" by Mistress Euriol of Lothian, O.P.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
- SC-Talonvale-msg - Siege cooking at the "Siege on Talonvale" event in the Middle Kingdom in 2004.
- Valentnes-Day-msg - St. Valentines Day in the Middle Ages.
In the CHILDREN section:
- Chld-Costumes-art - "Children's Costumes at SCA Events - a personal testimonial" by Mistress ?lfl?d of Duckford.
In the CRAFTS section:
- jwlry-soldrng-art - "Jewelry Soldering Simplified" by HL HRothgar Thorsson.
In the FEASTS section:
- Topkapi-Serai-art - An 16th C Ottoman feast by Urtatim.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
- carbonadoes-msg - Broiling meat on a gridiron previously slashed to increase the cooking speed.
In the PERIOD THOUGHT section:
- M-Cult-th-Lit-art - "Viewing Medieval Culture Through Literature" by Ban-Fili Cailte Caitchairn, O.L.
In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
- mdvl-needles-art - "A Stitch in Time?" by Bantiarna Brighid ingheam Chonchhobhair uinheill.
In the TRAVEL section:
- Dry-Card-Cmpss-art "A Dry-card Brass Compass" by Lady Elinor Strangewayes.
- SCA-by-train-msg Traveling to SCA events by train.
Here are the updated files for this month.
- Artem-hist-msg - Histories of the Kingdom of Artemisia.
- fountains-msg - Period fountains. Building fountains.
- knighthood-msg - Knighthood in SCA and period.
- Outl-hist-msg - Histories of the Kingdom of the Outlands.
- p-cook-child-msg - Period cooking for children.
- p-tents-msg - Period tents and documentation sources.
- peerage-cerem-msg - Thoughts on SCA Peerage ceremonies.
- picnic-feasts-msg - Ideas for light, picnic style feasts.
- SCA-royalty-msg - SCA Royalty and what they should be.
- shade-pavilns-msg - Shade pavilions for tourney field and camp.
- tent-setup-msg - Hints for setting up tents and pavilions.
- tent-sources-msg - Pavilion and canvas merchants.
- yurts-msg - Round Mongol tents also called gers.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****