Escape to the Current Middle Ages with the Society for Creative Anachronism and the Shire of Rokeclif as they celebrate fourteen years of hosting their signature Autumn Rose event. See the Arts of War (armored combat, fencing and archery) side-by-side of with the Arts of Peace (medieval crafts and demonstrations).
Trempeleau County Fairgrounds (Galesville, WI)
Site fee: $8 for adults, $4 for children under 12.
Note: Site fee may change based on the amount charged to the Shire of Rokeclif by the Trempeleau County Fairgrounds.
Camping fee: $1 per person; children under 12 camp free
Feast fee: $10 for adults, $5 for children under 12. (Lapsitters eat free.) Note: Servers eat for free - volunteer to serve!
- Equestrian Emprise pageant
- Blacksmith's corner
- Scavenger Hunt: The Search for the Holy Grail (SCA Adults)
Teams may consist of up to three members.
Clues will be scattered around the site grounds.
The first team to follow the clues to find the resting place of the holy grail will win. (Prize to be awarded at Court.)
- Silent Auction
- Arts and Sciences display
- A & S for Fighters: Makes something useful to a fighter (light, heavy or youth boffer) from duct tape. Extra points will be awarded for creative [cough] "documentation" [cough]. The project may include other materials, but duct tape must be the primary material.
- Puppet Show
The traditional Bard of Rokeclif contest will be held during feast. The winner becomes the Bard of Rokeclif for the next year. Performances should be no longer than five minutes in length and mention one or more of the following:
- All dogs must be on leashes at all times.
- There is no smoking nor lighted candles in any enclosed space.
- Different camping areas will be designated for early risers and those who like to stay awake late.
- We are within the city limits - no drumming circles at night, please. (Drumming during the day is just fine!)
- Please be prepared to answer questions and greet the public during the public demo. scheduled from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Saturday.
- There are stinging insects on this site. If you are allergic, bring your allergy kit and keep it handy.
- Site is bone dry during public demo (11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday); discreetly damp at other times. Anyone serving alcohol is responsible for ensuring that anyone sampling those beverages is of legal age to do so.
- Alcohol policies will be strictly enforced. Event staff reserves the right to have anyone violating these policies leave the site. No site fees will be refunded.
- Children's activities are planned. However, parents are expected to supervise their children during these activities.
Directions and Maps
From I-90 at LaCrosse: Take the Highway 53 exit north. (53 north and 53 south are two different exits). Follow 53 north 20 miles. Turn right on 53 into Galesville. Go through town, and watch the left side of the road for a permanent sign at Park Drive saying "Trempealeau County Fairgrounds". Follow Park Drive for about a block to the fairgrounds.
From Winona, MN area: Take Highway 54 east to Galesville. Turn left onto 53 and proceed through town, as above.
From I-94 at Black River Falls: Take 54 west. It will join 53. Continue on 53 when it turns north into Galesville, and proceed as above.
From I-94 at Osseo: Take Highway 10 into Osseo. Go one mile. Turn left onto 53. Go 45 miles south to Galesville. Pass the high school, Piggly-Wiggly, and hardware store and watch for the permanent sign saying "Trempealeau County Fairgrounds" on the right (Park Drive).
Shire of Rokeclif (Galesville, Wisconsin)