Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for July.
As you can see below a number of these new files are articles which were submitted to me by their authors. I am always looking for good articles on most medieval and SCA subjects. The copyright remains with the author and there is no requirement that an article not be published previously. In fact, if I know where an article was first published I will give word fame to that publication with a note in the article.
I am also especially interested in papers written for A&S contests. Few people have the time to read through a long paper at an event. However by letting me publish your A&S paper in the Florilegium you let others across the Known World benefit from the research that you have done. You are free to update it at any time in the future.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past eighteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
- Elzabethn-Gwn-art - "An Elizabethan Gown of 1575-6" by Mistress Marguerite Dinard, O.L.
In the CRAFTS section:
- Horn-Working-art - "Method for period horn work" by Kirk Morrison.
In the FEASTS section:
- Picnic-Basket-art - "A Pilgrim's Picnic Basket" by Master Gideanus Adamantius, O.L.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
- Great-Cake-art - "A Great Cake from the Rose Tourney" by Johnnae llyn Lewis.
- Shortbread-art - "Shortbread" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
In the HERALDRY section:
- n-Lat-mottoes-msg - Non-Latin mottoes.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
- Brewng-Bardng-art - "Brewing and Barding" by THL Thomas Whitehart.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
- bruise-cream-msg - Period and SCA bruise creams.
Here are just a few of the updated files this month.
- fd-Lw-Cntries-msg - Period food of the Low Countries.
- fd-paintings-msg - Period paintings that show food items.
- fried-foods-msg - Medieval fried foods. Recipes.
- kitchen-clean-msg - Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA event.
- p-manners-msg - Period manners. Period manners books.
- p-prices-msg - Prices for medieval items.
- p-slavery-msg - Slavery in medieval Europe and Middle East.
- p-sumpt-laws-msg - Period sumptuary laws.
- potatoes-msg - Period white and sweet potato use. Recipes.
- yeasts-msg - Medieval use of yeast. Using it in the CMA.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org **** [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]