Greetings to the Gentles across the Known World,
Here is a copy of my monthly Florilegium article for May, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
If you appreciate the material which is available in the Florilegium, and you run a website, please consider adding a link to the Florilegium or any of the sections or files inside it. This will help others who might also find it useful to find it and make use of it.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past seventeen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ANIMALS section:
- Stirrups-hist-art - "A Short History Of Equestrian Stirrups" by The Honorable Lady Maria de Andalusia.
In the ARCHERY section:
- Encourag-Arch-art - "Some Ideas on Encouraging Archery Participation" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.
In the BEVERAGES section:
- Hist-of-Mead-art - "A Brief History of Mead" by Sorcha Prechan.
In the CELEBRATIONS section:
- May-Day-art - "May Anniversaries and Festivals" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
- chck-n-pastry-msg - Chicken recipes cooked or baked in pastry.
In the HERALDRY section:
- SCA-Titles-art - "Personal Titles, Landed Titles, and Styles as Used in the Current Middle Ages" by Detlef von Marburg.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
- Bardic-Coachg-art - "Bardic Coaching and Networking" by THL Thomas Whitehart.
- Bardic-Swap-art - "Running a Bardic Swap & Shop!" by THL Thomas Whitehart.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
- Hops-Hist-art - "Hops: A Brief History" by Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon.
Here are just a few of the updated files this month.
- breadmaking-msg - Period bread recipes and re-creations.
- cameras-msg - Use of cameras in the SCA.
- caudls-posets-msg - Caudles and Possets. Thickened beverages.
- chicken-msg - Period and SCA chicken recipes.
- dairy-prod-msg - Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
- fd-Greece-msg - Food of medieval Greece. references.
- fd-Norse-msg - Norse and Viking food.
- feastgear-msg - Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA. cleaning wooden feastgear.
- gardening-msg - Period and modern gardening techniques.
- movies-msg - Reviews of medieval and ren. movies.
- online-ckbks-msg - Online versions of period cookbooks.
- p-menus-msg - Examples of medieval feast menus.
- P-history-msg - Pennsic history.
- p-swears-msg - Period swears, oaths and insults. euphemisms.
- pickled-foods-msg - Medieval pickled food. recipes.
- spreads-msg - Period spreads for bread. recipes.
- vegetables-msg - Period vegetables. Recipes.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****